Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why the three-finger-tap function now no longer shows definition for words?

I don't know from when(maybe after upgrade to Catalina), Mac's three finger tap option begins to show results from such as Siri Wikipedia or App Store instead of dictionary definition. And there's no setting for changing this.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 3:52 PM

You didn't need to post a picture (twice). We understand you don't see the Dictionary entries.

However, I don't know how to go about fixing it.

Maybe try booting into Safe Mode, then restart normally. It will clear some system caches which might help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies

Oct 14, 2019 6:04 AM in response to wndajkfva

All of those should be showing up, along with he Dictionary definition. You can swipe across to view the different types of information.

I don't know why yours is not showing the Dictionary. As you noted, there are no settings, so I don't know how to reset it.

If you ctrl-click and choose Look Up, does it show the Dictionary? Its the same feature, so I wouldn't expect it to be different.

Why the three-finger-tap function now no longer shows definition for words?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.