Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail classic layout

The option to use Mail classic layout preferences checkbox is no longer available on Catalina. However, if one upgrades a Mac to Catalina that had users still using classic layout in Mail the classic layout still works. So what I would like to know is where is the preference setting stored that enables classic layout in Mail.? Can I set this and still use classic layout?

And as a side note why was the classic view check box deleted from the View preferences in Mail?

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 9:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 3:22 PM

Hello LoudPipesSuck,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you're looking for the Classic laylout in Mail; I'd like to help.

While the option no longer appears in Mail Preferences, you can achieve the same result in the View Menu. You'll want to select "Use Column Layout" and uncheck "Show Side Preview".

Hope this helps.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2019 3:22 PM in response to LoudPipesSuck

Hello LoudPipesSuck,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you're looking for the Classic laylout in Mail; I'd like to help.

While the option no longer appears in Mail Preferences, you can achieve the same result in the View Menu. You'll want to select "Use Column Layout" and uncheck "Show Side Preview".

Hope this helps.

Nov 22, 2019 6:21 AM in response to LoudPipesSuck

Not sure why this feature was removed after seemingly a lifetime of doing things one way. I don't need this change, I don't want to adapt to a new layout. Classic was there for a reason—people used it. I have used it since the beginning of Mac Mail, and I prefer to be able to quickly sort by clicking on headers in the Inbox. The new checked settings in the View dropdown is NOT Classic layout and ignores all of the usable features of it (sorting quickly, adjusting column widths).

Not to mention the fact that this current version of Mac Mail seemingly has issues marking e-mails as read or not read correctly, as well. I'm really not all that thrilled with the updates so far. Seems like every new update is a beta test on live users and an exercise in productivity loss while I try to find work-arounds for the things that changed that I use all day, every day.

Jan 16, 2020 1:37 PM in response to ApexSpeed

I agree. "use column layout and unchecking show side preview is NOT classic layout". I cannot control column width or order. I cannot quickly click on a column head to resort. I can use the dropdown to resort which is slower, my major complaint is the inability to arrange the columns and control width. The new setup is not better. The classic layout did not need improvement.

Feb 2, 2020 6:52 PM in response to LoudPipesSuck

As someone who thought I just had to live with that default view, I'm thrilled to have this workaround. No, I can't adjust column width or sort without a few extra clicks, but I can live with that. Just wish there was a way to have new emails appear in bold so they stand out like before.

Thanks for you help!

Update: I figured out how to bold! Yay! I'm happy as a clam with this workaround. Thanks again!

Mail classic layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.