Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina installation broke Mac mini 2012 - EFI broken - no boot sequence

After updating to Catalina I ended up with machine that only powers up a fan and disk but not even start a boot sequence, no response to PRAM reset, not even a sound while powering on, no signal to video. The installation was following according to the plan everything copied to newly installed SSD there was a reboot with apple sign, bar went till the end. Another reboot again bar went till the end an than nothing.

now only LED light is light up, fan and disk receives power and that's it - the computer is bricked. I suspect something wrong happened to EFI on motherboard while updating versions - but how can this be fixed now?? Any help not involving motherboard replacement will be much appreciated.....

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 12:13 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 19, 2019 6:55 PM in response to Mac Gary

Hi Mac Gary,

It sounds like you need help with your Mac mini, and I want to try and assist you.

Check out these articles that can help if you with a Mac that won't start:

If your Mac doesn't turn on or start up - Apple Support

You mentioned that the LED is on, try reviewing the steps here:

Mac computer Sleep Indicator Light behavior - Apple Support

You can always contact the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for advice on how to proceed with service if need be, or contact Apple Support:

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Good luck!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Oct 25, 2019 1:00 PM in response to raina_b22

Unfortunately, as I noted in my post the computer is 'bricked' unresponsive to any key boot combination. LED status shows basically that is on but no boot sequence is initiated. After consultation with Apple support I was directed to local Authorised Service provider - yet two weeks passed and I haven't heard a word on it.

Catalina installation broke Mac mini 2012 - EFI broken - no boot sequence

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.