Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting ipad to hdmi

A few days ago I upgraded to an 11" iPad Pro (Model A1980), but I'm having no success in connecting it to a data projector or late model TV (or any similar device) via an HDMI connection. The error message is consistently "No data signal". I am using an authentic Apple USB-C to Digital AV Multiport Adapter with a proven quality HDMI cable. Is there a setting on the iPad Pro that I am overlooking? Is there a known issue impacting on the iPad Pro and HDMI connections? I've researched the issue widely - and every article suggests that it should be just plug and play. I've spoken to the Apple Support desk, but have made no progress. The support person seemed to know less about the iPad Pro than I did and was offering meaningless (and often widely misleading) advice. If anyone can help, I'd be very appreciative - the iPad is a critically important device for me when lecturing or making presentations.

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 6:57 PM

Since posting this question this morning (NZDST), I updated the iOS to today’s latest release 13.1.3 and Vola! - the problem was immediately resolved. Immediately it was plugged in, the iPad recognised the USB-C to HDMI adapter (blue indicator at top right of the iPad screen) and connection to the data projector was achieved with ease. I can therefore only assume there was a bug lurking in 13.1.2 that was causing the grief - or, that when setting-up the iPad for the first time and updating to 13.1.2, something had ever-so-slightly corrupted.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2019 6:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Since posting this question this morning (NZDST), I updated the iOS to today’s latest release 13.1.3 and Vola! - the problem was immediately resolved. Immediately it was plugged in, the iPad recognised the USB-C to HDMI adapter (blue indicator at top right of the iPad screen) and connection to the data projector was achieved with ease. I can therefore only assume there was a bug lurking in 13.1.2 that was causing the grief - or, that when setting-up the iPad for the first time and updating to 13.1.2, something had ever-so-slightly corrupted.

Oct 15, 2019 2:49 PM in response to mgreernz

I have the same iPad Pro model, and the genuine Apple connector that you describe. I just took a moment to double-check that mine was still working on my TV. I have a Samsung 55"LED, and I connected to an HDMI port, and connected to the iPad, and it is working just fine. Are you sure that you have selected the correct HDMI port on the TV for the feed? I can't address the projector, since I haven't had time to check this at work. We have multiple projectors set up in classrooms, so the best I could give you is the one in my classroom if I check it tomorrow. I don't have anything set different. Do you know if AirPlay is on? See if that makes a difference.

How close are you to an Apple Store. You could take the device and the adapter in to check there. If you are not close, then I would call Apple Support back and ask for someone in the next tier up in support. Generally the customer people that you connect to first only have a very basic knowledge.

connecting ipad to hdmi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.