Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 10.15 update fails

Received a notice in Software Updates of a "macOS 10.15 update" being available. When I try to update I get a message "Download failed. An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."

I am connected to the internet (as I as using the same Macbook to write this post). I've tried rebooting and get the same result. Is there a location when the update download is stored where I can delete anything that might be a partial download for this update, delete it and try again?

Mike

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 5:17 AM

Thanks. I got it corrected by going into Software Update -> Advanced and unchecked all of the check boxes, exited, rebooted, then went back in and reselected "Check for Updates", "Download new updates when available", and "Install system data files and security updates". Then I tried the download again and it worked.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2019 5:17 AM in response to Soren Pearson

Thanks. I got it corrected by going into Software Update -> Advanced and unchecked all of the check boxes, exited, rebooted, then went back in and reselected "Check for Updates", "Download new updates when available", and "Install system data files and security updates". Then I tried the download again and it worked.

Oct 16, 2019 12:38 PM in response to rotorblades

Hi Mike,

First, try the download again and see if it works. Maybe there was a glitch when you tried it before. If not try the steps below.

You can check two things.

Go to your applications folder (Command n to open a new finder window) and see if "Install MacOS" shows up there, if so, delete it and empty your trash and reboot your Mac.

Try the download again and see if it works. If it the download fails, try the steps below.

Second, make sure your Date & Time is correct. Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Date & Time.

• Make sure ‘Set Date and Time Automatically’ is checked. If it's checked already, you can uncheck it and restart your Mac.
  • Then go back to Date & Time and check it and try the download of MacOS Catalina again.

If the download still fails after this, I can provide another work around,

I hope this helps.

macOS 10.15 update fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.