Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The Finder can't quite because an operation is still in progress on an iOS device"

I wanted to restart my Mac in order to check whether this would clear a problem I was having. I got the message:

This makes no sense as it doesn't give any indication of which iOS device is involved, nor does it allow one to abandon the operation. Grrr.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 11:57 PM

I managed to get out of this situation by having the device connected by cable to the computer. Then turn off the iOS device.Then disconnected the device from the computer. The device disappeared in the Finder and I was able to restart the computer. Then I restarted the device and reconnected it to the computer. When it showed up in the Finder, I clicked on sync and let it work. After that, everything worked for me. So far....

I is running Catalina 10.15.3 on my MacBook Pro and iOS 13.3.1 on my iPhone.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2020 11:57 PM in response to sebastian77

I managed to get out of this situation by having the device connected by cable to the computer. Then turn off the iOS device.Then disconnected the device from the computer. The device disappeared in the Finder and I was able to restart the computer. Then I restarted the device and reconnected it to the computer. When it showed up in the Finder, I clicked on sync and let it work. After that, everything worked for me. So far....

I is running Catalina 10.15.3 on my MacBook Pro and iOS 13.3.1 on my iPhone.

Dec 10, 2019 10:29 PM in response to Cox27Rd

I haven't found a fix but I found a way to shut down the Mac.

To recall, the problem is the Finder is stuck "syncing" an iOS device, yet the iOS device wasn't syncing; try to stop the syncing on Finder doesn't work; relaunch the Finder and the problem still there.

The workaround is to relaunch the Finder, and while it was relaunching quickly shut down the Mac. You need to use the command+eject key on the keyboard to quickly call up the shutdown dialog.

You have to do these quick:

1. Relaunch the stuck Finder (command+option+escape)
  2. Quickly press "command+eject", shutdown dialog pop up, quickly press "return" (enter)

I manage to shut down the iMac in this way whenever the Finder stuck

Nov 5, 2019 5:44 AM in response to Dandelion1

This happens to me twice now. On Finder sidebar an iOS device appeared to be syncing, but the iOS device itself shown no syncing icon on top. Hover the cursor on the syncing icon below shows a cross to cancel, but clicking it make no different.

Force quit (relaunch) the Finder and the Finder came back and still "syncing", I even tried turn off wifi on both the iOS and the Mac, it was still "syncing". Both time eventually I have to force shut down my Mac by holding the power button.

Very very frustrating.

Oct 23, 2019 3:09 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi chris_g1,

All our iOS devices are configured to backup to our Mac and to sync both music and photos from our Mac. These processes are initiated automatically when an iOS device starts charging (if it can reach the Mac via WiFi). Prior to Catalina, we could restart the Mac even when an iOS device was syncing. That seems to no longer be possible.

Thanks

Oct 23, 2019 5:08 AM in response to sterling r

Hi sterling r,

Thanks for responding. When this happened, none of the devices listed in the Finder under the heading "Locations" showed any indication of an operation in progress (such as spinning arrows). Since then, I've had the same problem a number of times. Even when the Finder shows an operation in progress, there seems to be no way to abandon the operation from the Finder. The only solution I've found is to examine the various iOS devices to see which one(s) is/are syncing, and to shut down the offending device(s).

This problem was introduced by Catalina.

Oct 22, 2019 1:20 PM in response to Dandelion1

Hello, Dandelion1.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

From what I've read is that you're unable to restart because Finder came up with an error. I'd like to help you on this. You may have to pull up Finder to see if there's an iOS device syncing data: Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

If no iOS device is connected directly, check to see if you have one syncing via Wi-Fi.

I would advise caution on this next step, but if you can't find any reason why this is occurring, try force quitting Finder: How to force an app to quit on your Mac

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Oct 23, 2019 2:06 PM in response to Dandelion1

Hello, Dandelion1.

Thanks for getting back us with those details and work around. Have you tried just turning off Wi-Fi sync? Are they are changes that are happening on the devices that would cause them to sync with Finder? Seems like that something may be triggering it to happen, for example like any music or photos that may not be on your Mac or vice versa?

You can also go to safe mode and test user account to see if it occurs there. Safe mode is a good start, because it can help resolve issues:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Cheers!

Nov 17, 2019 6:39 PM in response to bmturner2000

Odd, @bmturner2000. Ugh.

I don't have my notes, but I resolved this as I recall, by remembering how syncing works with Catalina and the new iOS and iPadOS (perhaps the wrong name for the OS?). So, if you're not using Catalina and the OSs, then my experience may not apply.

However, if you are using the up-to-date systems, opening a Finder window and looking at the left column of the display in that window should show you a list of all the devices (hard drives, phones, etc.) that are attached to your computer. You could try to eject (click the triangle stacked atop a bar) the device that might e stuck. It should sync the next time you mount ("attach") it.

I found this document helpful: Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer.

I hope you can solve it.

Oct 23, 2019 4:17 PM in response to Dandelion1

Hello, Dandelion1.

When the processes are initiated, does it ever finish or does it lock up at that point? It's possible that syncing a lot of data over Wi-Fi could just be slow. You may want to try syncing up all of your devices using a cable instead just to get the process complete. Finder and sync should be quick if there are no changes on the devices and Mac.

If that still doesn't help, try the safe mode and test user account steps provided earlier.

Best regards.

Nov 2, 2019 7:43 AM in response to Dandelion1

When this happened to me, I had to find the iOS devices under "Locations" in left sidebar of a Finder window. I dismounted (ejected) the one that wasn't active and waited for the other one to complete its process (i.e., the double arrow to stop spinning). Once everything was complete, I was then able to restart. In my case that restart allowed me to update to 10.15..

Nov 5, 2019 5:49 AM in response to brenden dv

This happened to me twice too. The syncing never finish, plus the iOS device itself didn't have the syncing icon on top. I don't think there were a lot of data to be synced as my iPhone sync quite frequently (may be once every 2 days).

I'm afraid safe mode won't help, as this happen randomly.

Dec 7, 2019 6:10 AM in response to Dandelion1

For me, this problem only started occuring when I updated to macOS 10.15.1 last week. I never had this problem before on any prior major macOS versions with either my 2018 Mac mini or my mid-2011 iMac.

The problem occurred again last night. During the week, I finally figured out how to have Catalina show all my devices under "Locations" in "Finder".

Last night, one of the iPhones (a Xr) had a rotating circle icon to the right of the phone's icon, which indicated (to me, at least..) a hung process. Catalina greyed out the option to back up this particular iPhone, although Catalina still enabled the back up option on other devices (they didn't have the rotating "circle of death" next to them). As soon as I powered off the iPhone Xr and it dropped out of Finder's Locations, the Finder error message disappeared. I powered down the Mac mini without issue.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the spinning arrows next to an iPhone when it's under "Locations" in "Finder"?

Dec 10, 2019 1:52 AM in response to Mengkomnab

I have the same issue as well.

The only way to shut down my iMac is to hold the power button until I force the machine to power down.

However the next time I sync my iPad I get the same issue.

It has only happened since I upgraded my macOS to 10.15 and my iPadOS to 13.2.3

I wonder if it is something in splitting iTunes. I also don't like the fact that now there is no information on the sync. Before I could see which of the 6 steps was underway and which song or film was being synced so I could see more exactly where any problem was occurring

"The Finder can't quite because an operation is still in progress on an iOS device"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.