Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant tells me to restore my Fusion drive, but it's not split

I just upgraded to Catalina and found that my favorite, old video games suddenly do not work. I decided it was time to get Windows 10 and use it via Boot Camp. When I try to use Boot Camp Assistant, it immediately tells me 'Boot Camp cannot be installed to a split Fusion drive. In order to install Boot Camp please restore your drives to Fusion.'

The trouble is, when I looked into how to do this, and followed the instructions from Apple Support, they told me that my Fusion drive is working fine.

That's it. No idea how I can persuade my computer that it's drive is working as intended. Any ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 12:27 PM

For a 2012 iMac with a non-3TB Fusion drive, boot into Single-User Mode by holding Command+S at boot. You will see a black-and-white Console window.

In the Console, run

fsck_apfs -s -o -y /dev/rdisk2

and post a photograph of the session.

Similar questions

14 replies

Oct 17, 2019 4:03 PM in response to bsuspicious

Update: I tried the Boot Camp Assistant again just now and it seems to be working. I have no idea which of the steps Loner T prescribed did the trick, but it's suddenly working.

As for resetting the PRAM and the SMC: I did those before I posted this question, and they didn't fix things for me.

I'm sorry I'm not a better scientist: I should've been trying Boot Camp after each step, to help isolate what worked, but I didn't.

Alas.

Thank you Loner T for your interest and your help. Very generous, and very much appreciated.

Boot Camp Assistant tells me to restore my Fusion drive, but it's not split

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.