Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot force bluetooth aptx codec on Catalina

I cannot seem to get aptx and aptxHD to work in Catalina. I have used bluetooth explorer to force enable aptx but when I option click the bluetooth icon and select my headphone ( Audio Techina ATH-Mx50BT) it still says SBC. Any idea why this is the case and how can I get aptx to work?

Thank you all for your time

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 8:40 AM

same problem - connected AudioEngine B1 before Catalina - and got an aptX connection.

After Catalina upgrade it stopped working.

Installed Bluetooth explorer - and set to force use of aptX - but no result.

19 replies

Oct 28, 2019 12:08 PM in response to MH55

New discovery.

I'm 99% sure that if you enable AptX in MacOS Catalina, you actually get AptX. Even if it shows SBC when using the "hold Alt and press bluetooth device to see codec in use" method.

I've found a "metallic noise" when using SBC codec with deep punchy bass.

You hear it clearly with this tone generator (low frequencies): https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

And you hear it (you need high volume) with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55u-1fDu2uw

It's not present with AptX / AAC!!

Sony WH-1000XM3 (AptX/AAC), Lypertek Tevi (AptX/AAC) and BeatsX (AAC) were used to test.

- First I disabled both AptX and AAC: SBC noise in both headsets, no doubt about it.

- I then disabled AptX and enabled AAC: Catalina shows both use/support AAC, and no noise what so ever in either headset.

- And the exciting bit. I enabled Force use of AptX and disabled AAC: The Sony and Lypertek plays compact and punchy bass with NO SBC-noise or other noise at all! Clean as a whistle.

The BeatsX have the same amount of SBC noise as in the first test with both disabled. (that proves that it's not AAC in use.)

Oct 29, 2019 3:56 AM in response to MH55

I confirmed it now, that Catalina supports AptX, using the Sony WH-1000XM3. MacOS Catalina still says SBC, but the Sony Headphones app says I have AptX.

My ears didn't fail me this time either.

It's a bit strange that I've never read that other people have identified this SBC-noise I've found/been talking about.

Nov 3, 2019 11:43 PM in response to samgurung

I have a similar problem. When I connect my BT Envaya Mini speaker by DENON to MacBook Pro it connects using SBC codec. You can clearly hear that, as the sound quality is inferior (also if you option-click BT icon it shows SBC). No way to change the default. However I have noticed that when I select Disconnect and then Connect from the BT menu it will reconnect using AAC codec. The sound is crispy and of much better quality. It is just a workaround and I am sick that I need to perform this to listen to decent audio. Shame on you Apple.

Nov 4, 2019 2:05 AM in response to hyperwenzel

Your speaker supports AptX LL and AAC.

Test this: Install Bluetooth Explorer from the Additional tools in Xcode. Go to Tools - Audio option, and try Force use of AptX. (remember to disable AAC). Reconnect your speaker and listen if the sound quality is good.

As you see in my last post, I found that the Macbook use AptX no matter if it shows SBC when use option-click BT icon.

If you're not sure, then disable AptX and enable AAC in Bluetooth Explorer. I find that AAC sound better if you use Apple Music.

A tip: Move the AAC bitrate slider to maximum.

Nov 4, 2019 4:17 AM in response to BigZ12

@BigZ12 - I already had aptX forced via the BT explorer (because I also use Sony MDR-1000X and it also used lower quality codec on previous OS) . It did work on High Sierra. Connection was AAC and quality was good. After updating to Catalina I have noticed audio degradation and that it connects via SBC when I power up the speaker. When I select Disconnect/Connect from the menu - the AAC kicks in and the Audio is HQ. I have just tried the same with Sony headphones and they connect to Mac with AAC on the first try.

Nov 4, 2019 4:25 AM in response to hyperwenzel

Ok, then I think you have a different problem that I am familiar with.

I just answered to this thread because Catalina show SBC as codec when forcing AptX in BT Explorer.

With my hearing :) (the SBC noise I explained before), and the Headphone app on my Sony WH-1000XM3, I confirmed that Catalina actually use AptX anyway.

I guess you know that you have to disable AAC when forcing AptX, and the other way around for using AAC.

Nov 13, 2019 8:27 PM in response to BigZ12

cause it apple and they so suck, i am so tired of them. The distaste i have for them is was never like this for microsoft even in in the vista days

they need some competition this is so so mediocre they take out aptx cause they feel like it, cause it is an alternative????

Hey apple remember that company that used to say THINK DIFFERENT guess i forgot to read the fine print AS LONG AS IT WHAT I AM THINKING

Feb 11, 2020 4:16 PM in response to MH55

MH55,

Hi, I downloaded the bluetooth explorer, X code 11 and when entering Tools/ Audio Options, I selected AAC CBR/Enable AAC/ and Force use of APTX and I did get the APTX-HD Orange light to re-appear and the sound quality did get immediately better. I'm still a bit bummed that it took all this effort to deal with and I may just go with a traditional plug, haha, but this advice did work for me. Hope it helps. https://gist.github.com/dvf/3771e58085568559c429d05ccc339219

Cannot force bluetooth aptx codec on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.