Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in roku apple TV app

I've installed the Apple TV app for my Roku 3 and tried to sign using my Apple ID and through a mobile device (specifically my iPhone running iOS 13.1.3 that I installed last night. Neither method works. Directly using my Apple ID yields "Signing in..." But hangs there until I force-vlose the app. When I try the remote device option I immediately get:

Verification Failed

There were errors signing you in. Wait a moment, then try again.

I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

I know my Apple ID and password. I checked them on my iPhone. And help would be much appreciated. I'm really looking forward to seeing my iTunes movies and shows on my TV.

Thanks much,

Joel

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 2:14 PM

I have (3) Roku 3s, one TCL Roku TV (not sure on model), and one Roku stick. The first Roku 3 I tried gave me the same issues as described by others above with no success. I later tried my TCL Roku TV which worked the first time. I then tried my other two Roku 3's and both of those worked the first time also. All of our iTunes movies are there and accessible to watch through those specific Rokus. I have tried the original Roku 3 several times thereafter and cannot figure out to sign in successfully using the same method. I do not have any micro SD cards connected to any of my Rokus. I have not tried to sign in to Roku stick yet (maybe tonight if I have time).

I have confirmed all roku 3's are identical model #s (4230X-Roku 3) running on the latest firmware (9.2.0 build 4131-04). I then checked the "About" section of the Apple TV app settings on each device. All are the same except the "Media Engine". All "signed in" devices say the Apple TV Media Engine is "1.222.6:0.1.26-fairplay-4.9.14". The one Apple TV App that will not allow me to sign in says the Apple TV Media Engine is "1.222.6:0.1.26-" Note it is lacking the "Fairplay-4.9.14" extension at the end. This last Roku 3 is connected to a much older LCD (maybe 2007 vintage). Could there be an issue with the HDMI signal preventing the "Fairplay" functionality, and if so, could that also cause the Apple app to not allow me to sign in on that device? Therefore, could this problem be specific to certain displays or cables used with the same Roku 3?

I will connect the non-signed-in Roku 3 to a newer TV tonight to see if I can get any different results. I'll see if I have different HDMI cables to try also.

It feels like I am grasping here, but I cannot figure out any other differences. If anyone has any thoughts on my trials I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks, Ed

Similar questions

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 2:14 PM in response to Natalie712

I have (3) Roku 3s, one TCL Roku TV (not sure on model), and one Roku stick. The first Roku 3 I tried gave me the same issues as described by others above with no success. I later tried my TCL Roku TV which worked the first time. I then tried my other two Roku 3's and both of those worked the first time also. All of our iTunes movies are there and accessible to watch through those specific Rokus. I have tried the original Roku 3 several times thereafter and cannot figure out to sign in successfully using the same method. I do not have any micro SD cards connected to any of my Rokus. I have not tried to sign in to Roku stick yet (maybe tonight if I have time).

I have confirmed all roku 3's are identical model #s (4230X-Roku 3) running on the latest firmware (9.2.0 build 4131-04). I then checked the "About" section of the Apple TV app settings on each device. All are the same except the "Media Engine". All "signed in" devices say the Apple TV Media Engine is "1.222.6:0.1.26-fairplay-4.9.14". The one Apple TV App that will not allow me to sign in says the Apple TV Media Engine is "1.222.6:0.1.26-" Note it is lacking the "Fairplay-4.9.14" extension at the end. This last Roku 3 is connected to a much older LCD (maybe 2007 vintage). Could there be an issue with the HDMI signal preventing the "Fairplay" functionality, and if so, could that also cause the Apple app to not allow me to sign in on that device? Therefore, could this problem be specific to certain displays or cables used with the same Roku 3?

I will connect the non-signed-in Roku 3 to a newer TV tonight to see if I can get any different results. I'll see if I have different HDMI cables to try also.

It feels like I am grasping here, but I cannot figure out any other differences. If anyone has any thoughts on my trials I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks, Ed

Oct 24, 2019 8:35 PM in response to Morac

The Apple TV app problem is resolved, but not by the method mentioned above (it may have worked as well but I didn't try it). As I felt that removing the SD Card might become problematic for other channels, I decided to wait for an update to the app or, as it worked out, the Roku OS. The update for the Roku OS came out today, 9.2.0 build 4128-04 and that fixed the issue. I have successfully signed in on the Apple TV app and it seems to work fine. Thanks for the suggestion given above. I would have tried it if this OS update hadn't come out when it did.

Nov 1, 2019 11:13 AM in response to Natalie712

Nothing works, it's not the SD card, it's not an update (there is none available) and Roku says it's an Apple issue. I can sign in just fine on my Roku Premiere+ but cannot sign in on my Roku 3 even though they claim to support all the way back to the Roku 2. I have removed the SD, checked for updates, uninstalled and re-installed the app, reset the app, tried log in by phone and log in on this device and nothing works, it just sits there spinning while saying it is logging in but never does. Anybody who has managed to get in by removing the SD card or trying a system update obviously just got lucky as these aren't the issue.

Nov 7, 2019 5:52 PM in response to Blujay718

Same too. I’m using the right ID, I don’t have an SD card, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, restarted, and the software is up to date. I have a compatible Roku 3 and it just will not sign in. It’s doing the same thing on a relatively new Roku Express+. Apple support did nothing but send me to the Roku support page telling me to do these things. Most of my free week has been wasted already.

Nov 14, 2019 4:14 AM in response to kiser17

My Roku stick 3600x model is not supported so I could not even download the Apple TV app. So no report there.

I swapped my non signed in Roku 3 with one of the functioning Roku 3s and reinstalled the Apple app. I still do not get the FairPlay extension and it will not sign in.

one thing I did different on the original Roku Apple install was choose not to send my information to Apple on the initial screen. That led to the failure. I seected

the share with Apple on all later Rokus and they worked. Not sure if that contributed to the success or not. Every time I have retried the original Roku 3 I have chosen the share with Apple option but I never get the FairPlay. Maybe I should try a factory reset.

Nov 14, 2019 7:06 AM in response to Natalie712

Yes, that is what I tried to communicate in my last post:

I swapped my non signed in Roku 3 with one of the functioning Roku 3s and reinstalled the Apple app. I still do not get the FairPlay extension and it will not sign in.

I just swapped the non-signed in Roku3 with a signed in Roku3 using the same cables, display, etc... This is a newer TV and obviously the whole hardware setup worked for the signed in Roku3. I will try the swap again with a factory reset when I have more time, hopefully tonight.

I don't know if there another Roku3 setting that I may have on this unit that is preventing the "fairplay" extension.

Nov 14, 2019 7:10 AM in response to Natalie712

Yes, that is what I tried to communicate in my last post:

I just swapped the non-signed in Roku3 with a signed in Roku3 using the same cables, display, etc... This is a newer TV and obviously the whole hardware setup worked for the signed in Roku3. I will try the swap again with a factory reset when I have more time, hopefully tonight.

I don't know if there another Roku3 setting that I may have on this unit that is preventing the "fairplay" extension.

Dec 12, 2019 8:42 AM in response to JacobFL

That’s great. Still can’t get it to work on my TCL Roku unfortunately and my ticket with Apple Support has been open for about a month without a response in weeks. I’ve pretty much given up. Fortunately it was a free year I got when I bought my iPad and I’m not actually paying for the service. It’s pretty unlikely that I’ll pay for a service I can’t watch on my television

Can't sign in roku apple TV app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.