Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple configurator 2 does not save changes of home screen to iPad or iPhone

I use Catalina 10.15 with the first rolled out patch and Apple Configurator 2 to change the homescreens. If I have prepared the apps order and want to transfer to iPad Pro 12.9" or iPhone 6s the changes are not made on them. Both clients have the newest IOS.

Also the layout of the Configurator does not show correctly the surface of the iPad Pro, the window is too small to show the correct order.

Do you have the same problems?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 12:47 AM

86 replies

Jan 24, 2020 9:51 PM in response to fhorn101

I have contacted apple support about one month ago. They wanted to try a new install of Catalina, I did not agree because my system is ok. Support wanted to relay the call to the supporters for schools, the connection failed. So I gave up and wait for an update.

I deinstalled the app completely with all other file in the system, no success.

Apr 9, 2020 7:27 AM in response to hwarter

MacOS 10.15.4

Configurator 2.12.1

The iOS 13.4.1 update bricked two iPads yesterday. Multiple hours with support and we ended up restoring to factory with no data. iCloud backup seemed to be the culprit with no explanation other than a possible VPN problem. I didn't have a VPN, though a profile might have been on there from a previous job. Long story short... any data that was local to the iPad and backed up to the cloud was gone. Let me repeat: "Restore from iCloud" was not an option, rather the source of the failure of these iPads to completely reboot after updating. I could only reinstall apps, or anything purchased. Sooo, my iPads are a mishmash of apps and I want to rearrange the home screens on my mac. Bottom line: I spent a half hour rearranging, hit apply, and... well we know the story. CHANGES DID NOT APPLY.

May 14, 2020 4:33 AM in response to hwarter

I am on Mojave 10.14.6, iPhone 13.3 trying to reorganise my homescreen app layout after foolishly choosing the 'Reset Home Screen Layout' option on the iPhone. Then discovering the iTunes app layout option was stripped away a long time ago, my hopes and dreams of not having to manually organise the apps manually came with the discovery of Apple Configurator 2.......it does exactly what I WANT it to do, but doesn't apply it.

This issue has been a problem for awhile it would seem from the posts here.

Apple please fix this!!!!

Jun 3, 2020 2:43 AM in response to hwarter

Why does Apple work so hard to on scaring away their customers? Why is their interest in the needs of the user so extremely low?

They have decided to remove this feature from iTunes, no matter if a user likes it or not. They don't care. And now Apple Configurator 2 doesn't support in anymore either, even if it pretends to do. They don't care.

This thread has been created like 8 months ago. Sufficient amount of time to fix a bug that has been reported by many users if you'd ask me (if you want to fix it).

Jun 5, 2020 3:41 PM in response to hwarter

Seriously, this issue just drives me up the wall. I'm furious at Apple.

This has to be a maximum 15 minutes job for a developer to fix the code in iOS that is blocking this settings sync from applying.

Clearly Configurator 2 thinks the change applies. Just as on iTunes 12.6.5 on Windows 8, if I apply an Apps layout it Syncs to my iPhone and thinks it's saved.

It's the iOS that doesn't save the frigging change.

FIX THIS FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Can you believe that since this bug/problem started being experienced by thousands of people, they further deprecated the existing system that worked fine (iTunes was deprecated). What the ****? Don't turn into Microsoft where you run completely disintegrated **** systems that break! This is why we spend $$$$££££ on your ecosystem! Treat us with some respect!

We know that Apple acknowledged this issue in September 2019. They STILL haven't fixed it.

I'm not going to spend 12 hours tapping on my screen to organise my 900 apps. I wanted the ability to do it like a frigging adult with a GUI and cursor. GIVE US THE POWER BACK!

Fuming. GET YOUR DEVELOPERS TO FIX THE CODE!

As of Catalina 10.15.5 latest and iOS 13.5.1 latest this **** still doesn't work!

Jun 9, 2020 5:16 AM in response to sportbilly78

I've just spent an hour now on the phone to Apple Education/Enterprise Support. A very nice chap I spoke to in rural Ireland working from home.

First, the guy was able to reproduce the issue on his unsupervised iOS device. On his supervised iOS device he didn't have the issue. Is this the cause then? Is this a hypothesis, that it has to be supervised to work?

But then that hypothesis was broken, as you can see:–

(1) iOS 13 iPod (supervised) DID work.

(2) iOS 12.4.7 iPod (unsupervised) didn't work

(3) iOS 13.5.1 iPhone 11 Pro (unsupervised) didn't work.

(4) iOS 13 iPad Pro 9.7" (unsupervised) DID work.

All tests on latest MBP 16" and latest Configurator (2.12.1) with latest macOS.

So it doesn't seem to be related to what kind of iOS device it is (pad, pod, phone), or what iOS version (12, 13), or whether it's supervised or not (can be either).

So we still don't know what causes this behaviour.

Other hyotheses of mine:–

• too many apps?

• too many folders?

• too many folders?

• does your home screen layout contain web shortcuts?

I have 700 apps, 12 screens and around 5 folders on each screen (50 folders) and 25 web shortcuts.

If folks can check in we might be able to find a common factor that stops it from working on our devices.

If you turn off the passcode on your iOS device temporarily, does that make any difference?

The bloke I spoke to on the phone is escalating his test log to his teams. I'll report back with any updates.

Jun 9, 2020 7:58 AM in response to hazpheare

Hi, thank you for contacting support and your trials. I 3 times contacted support and sent information to apple support including the link of our discussion. No answer!

To your questions:

Too many apps and folders - I don't think so, I don't have so many

Web shortcuts? I don't have.

My troubles started with upgrading to first productive version of Catalina. I use the same hardware components, no changes. iPhone 6s, iPad Pro 12'9", iMac Late 2014. I also tried iPhone 11 and iPad Air 2 from my partner. Also not working. All devices have newest IOS and MacOs.

Jun 13, 2020 12:23 PM in response to hazpheare

The main reason I went looking for this today was to delete apps whose icon I couldn't find.  It seams to work very well for that purpose. I am going to continue to play around with it, since you say it works for some people.  If I do discover the reason, I will be sure to post it. Is this only working for people that are doing it with supervised iPhones?

I did find this tidbit about supervised iOS devices:

What Does Supervision Allow For?
The following are examples of what’s possible under supervision:
Restrict access to apps
Filter web content
Configure home screen layouts
App lock (Single App Mode)
Activation lock bypass
Silent app installations
Enable Lost Mode
Push remote OS updates
Enable additional restrictions

This may imply the function does not work on Unsupervised iPhones.

The app was written for those that manage many iPhones not just one. If people are complaining about the lost feature from iTunes and using this instead, that is the reason apple does not care. After all, it was apple that took the function away from iTunes and still has not added the function to the side bar interface. So, Apple does not want to allow users of iPhones to have this functionality anymore. This is clearly the case, since they have removed that functionality from the interface on the Mac; this is whether we are talking about the old iTunes or the new iPhone interface built into the finder (in the sidebar).

apple configurator 2 does not save changes of home screen to iPad or iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.