Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

combine PDFs in preview app

Hello:

Occasionally there is a need to combine multiple PDF files into a single doc. This has been easily accomplished using the preview app, opening a PDF and then dragging additional files into the sidebar / thumbnails area. This functionality SEEMS to be broken in macOS Catalina ver 10.15 (19A583), preview ver 11.0 (998). When dragging new files into the sidebar / thumbnail area the files are not combined but simply opened as multiple documents within preview. This issue is also referenced in a reply to another preview app issue in the thread here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250719196?answerId=251432330022#251432330022

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 8:02 AM

Apparently this was a case of operator error.... I was trying to combine two PNG files not PDF files. My confusion came from the fact that the PNGs default to open in the preview app and I wrongly assumed that I could combine the files in the same way as can be done with PDFs. I verified that, when opening two PDFs, you are able to combine the files as before.

I've added this note to the thread in case anyone makes the same mistake I did.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 8:02 AM in response to ed_in_nj

Apparently this was a case of operator error.... I was trying to combine two PNG files not PDF files. My confusion came from the fact that the PNGs default to open in the preview app and I wrongly assumed that I could combine the files in the same way as can be done with PDFs. I verified that, when opening two PDFs, you are able to combine the files as before.

I've added this note to the thread in case anyone makes the same mistake I did.

combine PDFs in preview app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.