Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble combining PDF documents in Preview (Catalina)

I am having trouble combining pages from one PDF document into another. I am using macOS 10.15.3 (Catalina) on a MacBook Pro using the current version of Preview.app. Here's what I see:

• I open both documents in Preview.app
  • I turn on Thumbnails
  • I attempt to drag a thumbnail from one document into the proper position in the other PDF.
  • One of two things happens:
    1. The dragged-page goes to the start of the destination document. But I cannot drag from that position to the desired location.
    2. The dragged-page will not "go into" the destination document at all.

Any ideas how to address this? What other information could I provide? Thanks.

PS I also reported odd behavior saving modified PDF files. I don't know if these problems are related, but you can see my other report at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251265835

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 7:09 AM

Answering my own question:

I worked around this by opening the original document, then choosing File -> Export as PDF... and saving as a different filename. The resulting file appears to work as expected.

My supposition is that there is some voodoo PDF permission/locking/stunt in the original file (that my bank placed on the file) that prevented Preview from operating on it.

<rant>

It would be really helpful if Catalina's Preview would suggest "The original file cannot be modified. Export it as a PDF to remove the voodoo cruft and use it as you wish."

</rant>

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 7:09 AM in response to AntonioEsteban

Answering my own question:

I worked around this by opening the original document, then choosing File -> Export as PDF... and saving as a different filename. The resulting file appears to work as expected.

My supposition is that there is some voodoo PDF permission/locking/stunt in the original file (that my bank placed on the file) that prevented Preview from operating on it.

<rant>

It would be really helpful if Catalina's Preview would suggest "The original file cannot be modified. Export it as a PDF to remove the voodoo cruft and use it as you wish."

</rant>

Trouble combining PDF documents in Preview (Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.