Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access photos on external network drive after upgrading to Catalina

Hi,

After upgrading to Catalina, I am not able to access my Photos library anymore. I store photos on an external network drive. It is accessible via AFP and SMB, but in both ways it is not working. After starting Photos application and choosing the external library after few seconds I see this error message:

Repair Library Permissions
This photo library is locked or you do not have permissions to make changes to it. Photos can try to repair the permissions.

So I start the repair process. It progresses to 100% then starts counting again to fail after like 10-15 seconds with the following error message:

The library could not be opened.
Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library”. (1000)

The system has access to this folder, permissions are correct, ownership as well. Even if I remove it, it is created again by the migration process. After the second error I can see the following logs:

2019-10-18 21:48:55.026 (NSOperationQueue 0x7f84f1d149e0 (QOS: UTILITY)) MigrationOperation.m:242 Failed to migrate the library for state MigrationStateResourceMigration and original library url: file:///Volumes/user-1/Zdjecia/iPhoto/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/. Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "“thumbs” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it." UserInfo={NSUserStringVariant=(
    Remove
), NSFilePath=/Volumes/user-1/Zdjecia/iPhoto/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/thumbs, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f84f4294630 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=66 "Directory not empty"}}
2019-10-18 21:48:55.727 (NSOperationQueue 0x7f84f1d149e0 (QOS: UTILITY)) MigrationOperation.m:918 Migration completion for url file:///Volumes/user-1/Zdjecia/iPhoto/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/
2019-10-18 21:48:55.951 (NSOperationQueue 0x7f84f1d149e0 (QOS: UTILITY)) MigrationOperation.m:942 REASON: Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=46104 "(null)" UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x7f84f42996c0 {Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "“thumbs” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it." UserInfo={NSUserStringVariant=(
    Remove
), NSFilePath=/Volumes/user-1/Zdjecia/iPhoto/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/thumbs, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f84f4294630 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=66 "Directory not empty"}}}}

Any ideas how to fix it?

Regards,

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 1:56 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 18, 2019 4:43 PM in response to peper_pl

Photos does not support operating from network drives. In the past it would work for some for a while but eventually would stop allowing access. Each new system has tightened the compatibility requirements for external drives and Photos libraries.

This user tip explains where it's safe to have a Photos library: Where is it safe to store a Photos Library - 2019 Version

The best solution is to use an EHD that is formatted as shown in this screenshot:

and connected to your Mac via cable.

Oct 22, 2019 7:11 PM in response to peper_pl

I have the exact same problem!!! After upgrading to Catalina, photo library upgrade crashed.

Currently in the process of importing from old Master to a new .photoslibrary on my afp share. I am on the 3rd day now, process is painfully slow. I can confirm Catalina photos does work with photoslibrary on AFP, tho.

Would much appreciate a better solution... thx

Can't access photos on external network drive after upgrading to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.