Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts showing up in People and Other People in Air Drop

I can’t airdrop to my wife’s phone all the time. She shows up under People on the airdrop screen and sometimes her phone shows up a second time under Other People. When her phone shows up under other people AD will work, but the contact file under People does not accept transfers. I’ve rebooted phones, updated them to iOS 13.1.3, toggled WiFi and Bluetooth, and changed AD settings to everyone; no improvement. Why is she listed twice on the airdrop screen and how do I fix it?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 9:06 PM

This happened to me, and I found a solution that hopefully works for everyone else.

Like many here, this error was happening with people who we’ve had in our contacts for a long time before iCloud existed.

Go to your Contacts list. Find your contact. Their email should be listed as iCloud. My wife's was listed as "home". Once I did this, it worked! She only showed up as her contact and not Under Other People". Moreover, the Airdrop works now. Additionally I wasn't showing up on her phone either since I have the "contacts only" setting for others to see need which is what have me the idea to investigate why my phone didn't see her as a contact. It's because it needed to see her as an iCloud contact, not just a contact in my phone.

Hopes that helps others as this has been driving me crazy for the last month!

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2019 9:06 PM in response to -Byron-

This happened to me, and I found a solution that hopefully works for everyone else.

Like many here, this error was happening with people who we’ve had in our contacts for a long time before iCloud existed.

Go to your Contacts list. Find your contact. Their email should be listed as iCloud. My wife's was listed as "home". Once I did this, it worked! She only showed up as her contact and not Under Other People". Moreover, the Airdrop works now. Additionally I wasn't showing up on her phone either since I have the "contacts only" setting for others to see need which is what have me the idea to investigate why my phone didn't see her as a contact. It's because it needed to see her as an iCloud contact, not just a contact in my phone.

Hopes that helps others as this has been driving me crazy for the last month!

Dec 21, 2019 1:31 PM in response to shawgofam

I have the same, my wife shows up with her name at the top as the main target and under people (also as a quick airdrop option) but none of those work, lower down under “other people” it shows the name of her phone itself and that one works. This has only happened in the last month or so - probably (but not certainly) since I upgraded her phone to the 11 Pro.

Anyone getting anywhere with a resolution here?

Thanks

Dec 22, 2019 2:18 PM in response to rttang

Tried it and it did, in fact, work! Simply changing the contact email (and it could be any one of several email addresses) seemed to do the trick.

Interestingly, my wife’s iPhone 7 works just fine and my none of my email addresses are listed as “iCloud” so I’m thinking it has something to do with the new U1 Ultra Wideband location chip in the 11’s.

At any rate, thanks rttang!

Jan 5, 2020 1:49 PM in response to shawgofam

Hello, I’ve same problem. Since last update (13.3 now) I can’t send via airdrop files fo my wife iPhone 7 (also 13.3). She can send to me, and I can receive.

I changed all possible mails in contact tab to iCloud but it’s still not working:(

mans one more thing I can’t send mms to other mobile users than iPhone. Before update I could Ofc.

honestly it’s gonna drive me crazy xD please any suggestions

Jan 17, 2020 10:23 PM in response to shawgofam

Exact same problem here too. Everything everyone here describing, my AirDrop finally for awhile was working perfectly and then all of a sudden when trying to airdrop from my iPhone to Mac mini it shows as two contacts. One contact with Mac mini photo (hangs on "waiting") and other without photo (just the grey/white person) which works when I select this one. But for a long time it work with correct contact showing with Mac mini icon.

It took me forever to even find this thread that describes exact problem, so I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only person having this problem. I have tried what some people suggested, regarding changing email contact to "iCloud" but still didn't work for me.

I hope this problem gets resolved soon, super annoying. I use the airdrop feature almost daily.

Contacts showing up in People and Other People in Air Drop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.