Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Continues Crashes After Recent Update

Hello,

I've been using apple products ever since I could remember and they've been perfect.

Recently I decided to remove my iTunes since it was old and install the newest version. Following my actions downloading the latest version (12.10.1) up to today (19/10/2019) iTunes has been crashing when I plug in my iPhone, but works perfectly when I don't have my iPhone plugged in. iTunes doesn't respond and states not responding in task manager and the only way to close it is force closing via task manager. Additionally iTunes gives me "An iPhone Has Been Detected But It Could Not Be Identified Properly" error too.

I am currently using my iPhone 7+ running iOS 13.1.3.

My laptop specs are as following:

Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit operating system

Please reply ASAP.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 12:18 PM

Dear Turingtest2,

Thank your for your helpful comment.

However, as I said before, my windows was fully updated also my iTunes was not downloaded from Microsoft Store.

The issue seems to be resolved when I downloaded an older version of iTunes, thanks to your link, and it's working smoothly at this time. Currently I'd picked an older version of iTunes (V. 12.7.3.46) randomly and have been using it. I am assuming the latest version which this thread was made about has some issues/bug.

For your concern, here is what I did consecutively,

1) Carry out exactly what was said in second box

2) Install an older version of iTunes

3) After installing the older version I ran into an issue saying 'iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created with a newer version of iTunes', which also, again, was solved by your guides found here Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

Additionally, please update your guide found here Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. The pictures are related to windows XP.

In the end I'd like to thank you for your quick and thorough reply.

Soheil

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 12:18 PM in response to turingtest2

Dear Turingtest2,

Thank your for your helpful comment.

However, as I said before, my windows was fully updated also my iTunes was not downloaded from Microsoft Store.

The issue seems to be resolved when I downloaded an older version of iTunes, thanks to your link, and it's working smoothly at this time. Currently I'd picked an older version of iTunes (V. 12.7.3.46) randomly and have been using it. I am assuming the latest version which this thread was made about has some issues/bug.

For your concern, here is what I did consecutively,

1) Carry out exactly what was said in second box

2) Install an older version of iTunes

3) After installing the older version I ran into an issue saying 'iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created with a newer version of iTunes', which also, again, was solved by your guides found here Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

Additionally, please update your guide found here Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. The pictures are related to windows XP.

In the end I'd like to thank you for your quick and thorough reply.

Soheil

Oct 22, 2019 2:20 AM in response to SoheilS

Make sure that Windows is fully up to date, particularly if using the Microsoft Store version of iTunes.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Oct 22, 2019 1:41 AM in response to SoheilS

I've contacted my friends who are currently using Apple products and they seem to have the same issue too. iTunes freezes when they connect their phone to the PC; therefore, we can't sync our musics, transfer videos or manage our storage.

Please follow-up on this thread as for this is causing a serious drawback for us.

Awaiting your kind reply.

iTunes Continues Crashes After Recent Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.