Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DTMF Tone on IOS 13 issue

There is a new feature on IOS 13 on my iPhone X (I went into an Apple store and tested in on several phone models all using IOS 13) that shortens the DTMF tone. So when you press a number in a automated system it has a short beep instead of a long tone. Every number on a keypad has a different DTMF tone that is how automated systems recognize that you have pressed 1 for english. I have an iPhone 8 with IOS 12 and IOS 12 still has the long DTMF signals, so this is an IOS 13 issue The short beep is not an issue when I am dialing out, but is an issue when I am trying to accept collect calls through a 3rd party, automated system when I press zero to accept the call it drops it because the DMTF tone is too short for the automated system to capture it. Anyone else having this issue.?

iPhone X

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 12:21 AM

The hilarious part in all of this: Apple's own IVR system is unable to pick up the tones. So when Apple support calls you, you are unable to press "1' to accept the call.

So much for that theory about properly designed IVR systems.

124 replies

Dec 29, 2019 12:57 PM in response to Tellurideryan

UPDATE: So I managed a workaround for my particular issue with my front door buzzer.

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data options > Voice & Data

I ebelive the newest iOS set this option to "LTE,VoLTE On"

I set it to "LTE,VoLTE Off" and this seemed to have done the trick to allow me to press "6" to open the door

Hopefully this might help some of you!

I'm still not accpeting that this is a the actual fix....there is definitely something else buggy

Jul 13, 2020 9:04 AM in response to JeremyLeeDiaz

Do you have access to Apple internal marketing documents? If not, your assertions that "no one wanted" something is on its face absurd.

"No one wanted to lose fingerprint ID?" FaceID is much faster in most cases.

No one asked for a redesign for iOS? I'm more than sure Apple has a lot of feedback indicating people want changes to all sorts of things.

The headphone jack, really? The iPhone could not be the thickness it is had it continued with a bulky headphone jack, nor would it have received IP68 certification.

Choose to believe what you want, and I get your frustration.

All I can tell you is to make sure you voice your frustration directly to Apple here:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

For those curious about just some of the issues surrounding how this works, it's discussed in RFC 4733; the basic summary is that the tones you generate may not even be transmitted directly to the remote end; many carriers will decode the tones on your end and pass them along as data, and the remote end will regenerate the tones in question:

1. The gateway or end system can change to a higher-bandwidth codec
such as G.711 [19] when tone signals are to be conveyed. See new
ITU-T Recommendation V.152 [26] for a formal treatment of this
approach. Alternatively, for fax, text, or modem signals
respectively, a specialized transport such as T.38 [23], RFC 4103
[15], or V.150.1 modem relay [25] may be used. Finally, 64
kbit/s channels may be carried transparently using the RFC 4040
Clearmode payload type [14]. These methods are out of scope of
the present document, but may be used along with the payload
types defined here.

2. The sending gateway can simply measure the frequency components
of the voice-band signals and transmit this information to the
RTP receiver using the tone representation defined in this
document (Section 4). In this mode, the gateway makes no attempt
to discern the meaning of the tones, but simply distinguishes
tones from speech signals. An end system may use the same
approach using configured rather than measured frequencies.

All tone signals in use in the PSTN and meant for human
consumption are sequences of simple combinations of sine waves,
either added or modulated. (However, some modem signals such as
the ANSam tone [24] or systems dependent on phase shift keying
cannot be conveyed so simply.)

3. As a third option, a sending gateway can recognize tones such as
ringing or busy tone or DTMF digit '0', and transmit a code that
identifies them using the telephone-event payload defined in this
document (Section 2). The receiver then produces a tone signal
or other indication appropriate to the signal. Generally, since
the recognition of signals at the sender often depends on their
on/off pattern or the sequence of several tones, this recognition
can take several seconds. On the other hand, the gateway may
have access to the actual signalling information that generates
the tones and thus can generate the RTP packet immediately,
without the detour through acoustic signals.

RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony Tones, and Telephony Signals

Nov 25, 2020 4:02 AM in response to Win W

Win W wrote:

Android users have no issues!

Are you sure about that?

Most of the issues being experienced here are due to DTMF regeneration on the part of cellular carriers; Apple can't control that.

You can tell if this is occurring by calling a friend or a landline and entering a bunch of tones.

If no matter how fast you enter them on a keypad they come out uniformly short and evenly spaced, DTMF regeneration is being done by your carrier.

Again, you can read more about that here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250764240?answerId=253371576022#253371576022

Jul 8, 2020 10:18 PM in response to sl985

This is a difficult issue to fix

• long tones get interpreted as multiple presses on some IVRs if the phone connection keeps dropping as you get sometimes when connecting to an overseas call centre and there is not enough bandwidth which gives you odd short periods of silence. This silence makes the IVR think you have pressed the key twice
  • short tones may not be picked up reliably by an older IVR

I do not like lots of settings but perhaps a long, medium and short option for DTMF tone length so you can adjust as required.

Nov 22, 2019 5:49 PM in response to sl985

Absolutely agree with other comments that this is unacceptable. I communicate with an IVR system through my internet provider and the call centre is on the other side of the globe. These shortened tones result in the IVR simply not recognising the selection that I make.

Apple needs to fix this YESTERDAY.

Dec 29, 2019 3:30 PM in response to deebsr

As a matter of interest I did a test by calling another phone nearby and then listening to that phone while I pressed various numbers on the iPhone. Despite the iPhone earpiece feedback seeming to indicate a very short tone when you press a number key on your iPhone, the reality is that the length of the tone that actually goes to line is in fact close to 0.5 of a second which I would have thought would be adequate.

So that means that there are systems out there that require a longer tone length and for that reason I believe that the length of time you press the button should result in the tones being transmitted for that same length of time rather than being hard coded to be limited to 0.5 of a second.

Oh and as an aside, "LTE,VoLTE Off" makes no difference to the time the tone is transmitted that I can tell. It's still around 0.5 of a second. The LTE,VoLTE setting allows you enable or disable the ability to make voice calls and still use Mobile Data simultaneously but a side effect has probably aided you which is great.

Dec 31, 2019 5:49 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

That's not the case. Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is a feature that allows voice calling over our 4G network using compatible devices. It allows you to remain connected to the 4G network during calls, which means you can continue using 4G mobile data while making and receiving calls.

Here is a detailed explanation of what VoLTE is: https://www.cio.com/article/2393973/voice-over-lte-explained-better-voice-quality-coming-soon-to-your-4g-phone.html

DTMF Tone on IOS 13 issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.