Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong telephone number format

Updated my iPhone 8 plus to IOS13, my phone keeps changing my number format from 01234 567890 to 01 234 56 78 90, so far i have changed my location from UK to USA back to UK. I have to do this every morning. That works, however, an hour later its changed again !!!! Gone into Settings-phone- turned off Dial Assist, total re-install of IOS13 using my Mac, gone into iCloud to make sure my settings are correct country/region set to UK, reset all settings. It's not only my iPhone but my daughter's iPhone XR. She called me yesterday from 3 miles away but came up as a Belguim telephone number +32 234 56 78 90.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 5:03 AM

Hi AM. I followed your advice and changed my Contacts telephone numbers to the full international (ie with the international dialling code) format and it all seems to work, including seeing Contacts' names when they call me, which wasn't happening with the format error. This task involved simply adding the UK international dialling code (+44) to the front end of existing telephone numbers and my telephone took care of the rest of the formatting.

It would seem that the iPhone 8 (and others?) can't resolve Contacts telephone numbers that are not in the international format, and appears to try and convert them into US numbers.

Thank you for your help.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 5:03 AM in response to Shichimi

Hi AM. I followed your advice and changed my Contacts telephone numbers to the full international (ie with the international dialling code) format and it all seems to work, including seeing Contacts' names when they call me, which wasn't happening with the format error. This task involved simply adding the UK international dialling code (+44) to the front end of existing telephone numbers and my telephone took care of the rest of the formatting.

It would seem that the iPhone 8 (and others?) can't resolve Contacts telephone numbers that are not in the international format, and appears to try and convert them into US numbers.

Thank you for your help.

Oct 22, 2019 5:01 AM in response to KolaKube70

Hi KOLAKUBE70, have you had any luck with this issue???

I have exactly the same thing and during my genius bar visit on Friday was told they had seen others. I had my software reloaded by the apple lady on Friday and all seemed to be going ok, zero phone number format changes over the weekend. I then came into work Monday where i put my phone on charge and within minutes the number format had changes to the 01 234 56 78 90 format. I also have no phone signal at work so get no 3g/4g or mobile signal but i am connected to wifi. From much more playing around with settings etc i have deduced that this change only occurs when i have the phone on charge, no cell signal but good wifi. The only spanner in this theory so far is that my iPad has exactly the same set up whilst at work but phone number format never changes, iPad is not cellular tho. My conclusion is that the phone connects to icloud when plugged in and on wifi so something, i am yet to discover what sadly, is causing this format change.

I am booked into the genius bar again on Wednesday evening so if i get any further i will post an update but please do reply if you have any extra info.

Oct 24, 2019 1:36 AM in response to Shichimi

Thanks Shichimi, i have sat and changed all my numbers to +44 format and so far so good!!! Though must say was very dissapointed with my visit to the genius bar last night as the apple man had very little extra to say except reset settings, which obviously i had already done many times, and the phone numbers went wrong format again within the hour!!

Dec 10, 2019 10:22 AM in response to Shichimi

Well you've not looked hard enough then. If found someone suggesting I do a reset of the phone (home key and power button).

That seems to have solved the problem. Much easier than update a shed load of phone numbers.

Still, I'd expect Apply to solve the problem; it's been around for long enough.

And why shouldn't I moan about it? I've paid a lot of money for this phone I expect it to be able to do a base function like record phone numbers correctly and match them to incoming calls without issue!

wrong telephone number format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.