Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSstatus error 13

I have an external disk connected to an iMac (2017), with a folder shared for time machine backup. As you can see the folder, timemachineall, can be seen by time machine. But now that all my computers have Catalina, I get a an OSsystem error 13 message when I try to select the disk.

This wasn't a problem before Catalina and I'm wondering if it's related to the new feature that creates two disk images. In any case, any ideas why this is suddenly a problem or how to fix it? None of my laptops can connect to the shared folder anymore even though TM finds it, and this wasn't a problem at all before Catalina. Thanks!

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 12:03 AM

It worked - thank you! I simply disabled File Sharing & re-enabled it (without needing to restart either machine)

My situation is similar with two Catalina 10.15.1 machines:

• an iMac (5k 2014) server where I setup the Time Machine server (as per https://512pixels.net/2018/08/how-to-set-up-time-machine-server/) to a Backups folder an external drive; (also Time Machine backup this iMac to the same external drive)
  • a mac mini (2011) that I wanted to backup; attempting to set up Time Machine to the Backups folder after entering Backups credentials correctly, received the same "OSstatus error 13" message as in post.

On the iMac/TM server machine, disabling File Sharing, (waiting 10 seconds) & re-enabling, allowed the Mac mini to complete the TM setup process successfully without error 13.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2019 12:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It worked - thank you! I simply disabled File Sharing & re-enabled it (without needing to restart either machine)

My situation is similar with two Catalina 10.15.1 machines:

• an iMac (5k 2014) server where I setup the Time Machine server (as per https://512pixels.net/2018/08/how-to-set-up-time-machine-server/) to a Backups folder an external drive; (also Time Machine backup this iMac to the same external drive)
  • a mac mini (2011) that I wanted to backup; attempting to set up Time Machine to the Backups folder after entering Backups credentials correctly, received the same "OSstatus error 13" message as in post.

On the iMac/TM server machine, disabling File Sharing, (waiting 10 seconds) & re-enabling, allowed the Mac mini to complete the TM setup process successfully without error 13.

Oct 20, 2019 1:35 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks. All these considerations have been taken care of and the problem only started after Catalina. Prior to that tm could select the disk without any problem to back up lap tops wirelessly. As the screenshot shows, Tm has no problem finding the disk on the network. It just won’t select for backup anymore. Everything has been reformatted and restored from backup and there’s no problem with the disk itself or any of the lap top disks, per disk utility. The disk backs up to the iMac27 it’s connected to just fine and I’ve created a separate, shared folder on that disk for timemachine, as I’ve always done successfully. Thoughts ?

OSstatus error 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.