Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac types symbols instead of capital letters

My MacBook late 2009 model, operating system OS X El Capitan version 10.11.16, had some water spilled on it a couple of days ago. At first it wouldn't start. After drying out, it starts and does most of what it's supposed to, but when I hold the shift key to type capital letters, it types weird symbols instead. I can still get capital letters with caps lock, but turning it on and off every few seconds is not practical, and I still have no access to much-needed punctuation marks. Should I let it dry out some more, or does that not make a difference now. How to switch back to my normal keyboard. I tried adjusting the keyboard in system preferences and it is properly set to Canadian English, but obviously that's not what's being typed.

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 5:13 AM

Your late-2009 MacBook is too old for Apple or Apple Authorized Service Centers to repair or get parts as it is on the vintage and obsolete list. Your only recourse with a damaged keyboard circuitry is to try an external Mac keyboard. If the garbled text continues, then that water damaged your motherboard, and that would be game over.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 5:13 AM in response to VeronicaGvent

Your late-2009 MacBook is too old for Apple or Apple Authorized Service Centers to repair or get parts as it is on the vintage and obsolete list. Your only recourse with a damaged keyboard circuitry is to try an external Mac keyboard. If the garbled text continues, then that water damaged your motherboard, and that would be game over.

mac types symbols instead of capital letters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.