Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype and Microsoft Office knocked out

I recently upgraded to the new Catalina. Unknown to me, this knocked out Skype and most of my office programs.

Has anyone figured out how to reestablish these programs?

I figure it's another attempt by Apple to regulate programs used on Mac devices even though theirs will not do the same things.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 3:12 PM

Microsoft Office 2016, and Office 2019, and other 64-bit apps, and Office 365 and subscriptions, all work with Catalina.

Office 2011 and earlier, older Skype, and other 32-bit apps, not so much.

Same for older Skype and the necessity of an upgrade to same.

Also available are LibreOffice, and OpenOffice, and Apple iWork Pages, Numbers and Keynote as alternatives.

These can all read and write most Office documents.

These latter packages are all free.

Office 2019 purchases, and Office 365 subscriptions, are not free.

Apple has been warning of the end of 32-bit app support for many years, first to developers and more recently to end-users.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2019 3:12 PM in response to tacrain

Microsoft Office 2016, and Office 2019, and other 64-bit apps, and Office 365 and subscriptions, all work with Catalina.

Office 2011 and earlier, older Skype, and other 32-bit apps, not so much.

Same for older Skype and the necessity of an upgrade to same.

Also available are LibreOffice, and OpenOffice, and Apple iWork Pages, Numbers and Keynote as alternatives.

These can all read and write most Office documents.

These latter packages are all free.

Office 2019 purchases, and Office 365 subscriptions, are not free.

Apple has been warning of the end of 32-bit app support for many years, first to developers and more recently to end-users.

Oct 20, 2019 2:50 PM in response to tacrain

No, it's Apple ending all support for 32 bit apps. That's been in the works since the release of Snow Leopard, the first 64 bit version of the Mac OS. Apple has made it more than clear for two years 32 bit apps were on their last legs.

You either need to restore your Mac to a previous OS where your old apps will run, or get new, compatible versions.

Skype and Microsoft Office knocked out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.