Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplay 2 Airport Express and Apple TV same time

I have two stereos connected to airplay 2 via Airport Express (v. 7.8.1) and two apple tvs (HD) connected to airplay 2. I can play iTunes to both airport express units at the same time or both apple tvs but music won't play on either airport express and apple tv simultaneously. It sounds like this should be possible. What am I doing wrong?

Apple TV

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 9:55 AM

Just finished with Apple support. This is not supposed to work at all after the switch from Airplay to Airplay 2. It only works for a while because it takes a while for the system to recognize that it is using incompatible systems. Deselecting the computer just means it takes longer for the system to recognize the incompatibility.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2019 9:55 AM in response to sjintucson

Just finished with Apple support. This is not supposed to work at all after the switch from Airplay to Airplay 2. It only works for a while because it takes a while for the system to recognize that it is using incompatible systems. Deselecting the computer just means it takes longer for the system to recognize the incompatibility.

Nov 2, 2019 4:11 PM in response to sjintucson

I just updated the OS for Apple TV and decided to try again to play Apple Music from my Mac on both an Apple TV (model A1625, tvOS13.2) and the Airport Express (operating version 7.8.1). It worked for a while and then stopped. The Apple TV is what dropped. When I selected it again from Airplay in Apple Music it started working again, but dropped after a while. I tried de-selecting the Computer from the Airplay list and it worked much longer, but eventually the Apple TV dropped again, but started up (again) when I reselected it in Airplay. The Airport Express unit kept playing music throughout these maneuvers. I am scheduling a call with Apple Support.

airplay 2 Airport Express and Apple TV same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.