Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not connect my 2 macs with AirDrop

I have an iMac 27" mid 2011 running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 running macOS Catalina 10.15.

I would like to share TextEdit (or any) files between the 2 by AirDrop.

Both Macs are side by side, connected by WiFi to the same router, have Bluetooth, WiFi and iCloud turned on and I can see AirDrop open on both but they do not see each other.

I can not see anything in Security and Privacy that should block them.

I right click on my test file on the iMac 27" > Share > AirDrop > and get:

I have AirDrop open in my MacBook Pro with:

Allow me to be discovered by: Everyone

but see no other device or file.

I have read the Help instructions on this but nothing relevant or actionable by me.

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 7:38 AM

I am afraid that the capability to use AirDrop with older macs has been removed in Catalina.

The old "Search for an older mac" that used to appear at the bottom of the AirDrop window is nowhere to be found.

9 replies

Oct 21, 2019 7:24 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

You won't see "Legacy" anything.

Try in the Finder instead of the share menu.

If you are sharing from the 2011 Mac, you are in Legacy mode.

On the 2012 Mac, open AirDrop in Finder. You should see a similar link at the bottom of the page that will switch you into Legacy mode. However, Catalina could have dropped support for Legacy mode. I don't know.

This article probably has better explanations: http://osxdaily.com/2015/11/30/enable-airdrop-new-mac-to-old-mac-support/

Can not connect my 2 macs with AirDrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.