Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app stuck on "Restoring" Screen after Catalina Update

After updating my 2018 MacBook Pro to Catalina, I let the Photos app run the process of updating my photos library (which is slightly larger than 1TB). This process took just under 24 hours to run, so I was very happy when it finally finished running. However, the next time that I launched the Photos app, it just said "Restoring..." and a progress bar underneath at 0%. I have let it sit and it never progresses past 0%.

Beyond frustrated at this point that after updating my library for Many hours, I'm still unable to access my photos library. Please help!

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 4:18 PM

This was, apparently, caused by a failed video upload from my Mac. It wasn't a large video file (88MB), but big enough that it corrupted my library's sync with iCloud. This is now the 50th problem I've had with iCloud Photos, and it's quite upsetting.

79 replies

Oct 27, 2019 11:28 AM in response to gmrodrigues

To update on my previous post. The repairing remained at 0% for about 3 hours, then started to count and finished within another 10 hours. The library then just worked fine, but after closing Photos and restarting the computer, the same procedure started all over again, although this time the total time needed was "only" eleven hours. Looking into the library folder, it seems the files psi.sqlite, psi.sqlite-wal, Photos.sqlite-shm and Phtos.sqlite.lock were changed within the first few minutes, and then it took almost elven hours to modify Photos.sqlite and Photos.sqlite-wal. As far as I can see, nothing else was modified.

Nov 10, 2019 11:12 AM in response to samgy84

I've had some time this morning to dig into this again. Contacted Apple support once again and worked my way up the chain to a senior support person. I've now got this issue assigned to a specific person that will keep in touch with me over the next several days to make sure the issue is resolved.

The new step I was instructed to do this morning was to edit the permissions on the external hard drive which stores the photos library. Even though my user account was set to read and write, and the checkbox to "Ignore ownership on this volume" was checked, she had me add Administrators to have full read & write access to the hard drive, and then click on the gear icon below permissions to select "Apply to enclosed items..." That part can take a long time to complete if it's a large hard drive. However, after that completed, I restarted the computer and opened up Photos. It had a little delay in opening, but not long and it's now going through the curation process. I was told to let that keep running...if I do have to stop it (which I will for going to work tomorrow) it should start back up from where it left off. She said that this process shouldn't take more than 48 hours, and at that point, fingers crossed...I'll be back up to running normally.

I really hope the permissions thing did the trick! If anyone has further questions about that process let me know! I'll continue to update on how this pans out. :)

Nov 30, 2019 3:19 PM in response to BillyBobGoat

Apple isn't here. We're all users like yourself. However, we will try to help.

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what's causing the problem..

Dec 2, 2019 2:08 PM in response to AVADHOOTGUPTE

User -Michael- got this solution from Apple:

I had the same problem, with iTunes 12.8.2.3 (running on macOS 10.13.6) and iOS 13.2.3.

First, I went through the steps listed at If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support . That didn't fix the problem, but I felt it was important to try those things  first before calling in for assitance.

Then, I called Apple Support. After some research, the person I spoke with said to go to Download iTunes 12.8.2 for Mac and install this slightly older version.

I did. While the installer was running, it downloaded additional updates, as did iTunes 12.8.2 itself when I launched it. I then ended up with a re-updated version of 12.8.2.3 that was able to see my iPhone. 

This completely fixed the problem for me.

Dec 17, 2019 9:41 AM in response to jrcchicago2

I do have same type of issue. I have :

• 1 iMac 27 (end 2014) now with Catalina 10.15.2.
  • 1 iPhone X with 13.3
  • 1 iPad Pro with
  • 1 iCloud subscirption 2T
  • 1 Photo library of approx 70.000 photos in the internal main 1T SSD of the iMac

All of a sudden, coinciding with the upgrading to Catalina, my Photo App in the iMac stopped importing from iCloud the pictures taken with the Iphone or the iPad. This happend more than 1 month ago and after suffering a lot in terms of reading articles, uninstalling iCloud, reverse, etc etc, nothing has changed !!!! All other iCloud functions work perfectly in all senses.

Somebody can help ? Thank you so much... getting mad with this very annoying problem from Apple !!!

Jan 6, 2020 12:32 AM in response to big daddy 7

Hi.

You have to search for the corrupted photos.

1. create a smart folder with the properties: ISO is empty. If there are photos found, that do not have a propper thumbnail (you will not be able to see them, and they cannot be exported), delete them.
  2. if after that the „curation“ is still going:
  3. create a smart folder with the properties „camera model is empty“. Do the same as to 1.
  4. if the „curation“ has not finished in a few minutes after that you have to search manually for the corrupted photos, as i have described at the post above.

This was the only thing that worked for me.

Have a nice day !!

Jan 1, 2020 8:18 AM in response to SenseOfLife

Yikes, 24 Hours for this process?!

I just launched Photos after upgrading to Catalina and I see an animation at the bottom of the App with a progress bar going from "Composing Layout...", "Gathering Favorites...", "Deleting Duplicates...", "Analyzing Scenes...", "Curating Best Photos". Seems to be taking forever, is this really going to take 24 hours?!

Oct 21, 2019 12:49 PM in response to Old Toad

I opened Photos at the beginning of my work day (shortly after 8am) and have left it alone...it eventually started showing progress for the "Restoring" process. Now at 2:45 in the afternoon, it's gotten up to 28%. Worried that I'll lose all of this progress anyway since I'll have to stop it when I leave for the day at 4:30. Maybe I'll be able to let it process all evening and through the night to complete...if it can't do it in that amount of time, I'll have to wait until the weekend.

At this point my biggest worry is that I'll continue to have issues with my photos library every time I try to open it. Does anyone have an explanation why it's going through this "restoring" process even though I already had it update the whole library for Catalina?

Oct 21, 2019 6:44 PM in response to SenseOfLife

My issue is that the Photos kept saying no permission and ask to repair the library to no avail in my time capsule after Catalina update. In the end I moved the library (400gb) to a hard disk that I formatted using my MBA (Catalina). The Photos restored the library and opened it successfully. Then I move back the library back to my time capsule and it works.

Give it a try.

Oct 22, 2019 6:25 AM in response to id192313

My library is on an external drive that I just purchased a few weeks ago, and formatted to APFS.

Update to what I tried yesterday...Let the "restoring" process run all day while at work. It was making progress, but around 4:00 the window popped up (it'd been minimized) and went back to 0% and quit responding. I had to force quit the program. Once I got home, I plugged it in and tried the above suggestion of repairing the library. I let it run all night (it was still showing 0% when I went to bed at 10:00) This morning it had only made it to 9%.

Starting to wonder if I just need to give up until apple releases an update

Photos app stuck on "Restoring" Screen after Catalina Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.