Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer Slow Down Conflict in Mojave? Copying to usb very slow, and more...

So I'm having some sort of conflict that is leading to basic file copying becoming extremely slow. I believe it is happening over my external USB drives. I've also been experiencing a much longer load time when opening some apps: the latest Adobe Media Encoder takes forever to open, Apple Mail opens quickly, but then takes forever to actually display my message list, Aperture takes a long while, and more. So performance all over seems to also have taken a hit with my upgrade to Mojave.

I have already trashed those apps preference files, reset the SMC and the PRAM. And I have 100gigs of free HD space on my root drive. I'm running a Late 2012 iMac with 32 gigs of RAM, a 3TB fusion drive, etc.

Is there anyone on here smarter than I that can help? I would love to get to the bottom of this. Just downloading EtreCheck for the first time and could post privately perhaps?

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas!!

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 9:24 AM

Please download and run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information. Allowing full drive access will improve the quality of the report.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Page icon in your reply window.

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 9:24 AM in response to Benny11

Please download and run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information. Allowing full drive access will improve the quality of the report.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Page icon in your reply window.

Oct 22, 2019 2:45 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks for this message. I've deleted a whole bunch of small but outdated software, including the remnants of the PACE software. And I've moved a bunch more stuff off the internal boot drive. Initial boot time has improved a bit, but Apple Mail still takes 15 mins before it has my messages loaded up (already rebuilt my mailbox).

One thing I'm noticing now is that Spotlight starts to index the moment I try to search. So you may see that in this Etrecheck report. I've tried to force a Re-index by altering the privacy folders, but without luck. I want try something like this attatched link, but get an "operation not permitted" error the moment I start the terminal process.

Oct 22, 2019 11:20 AM in response to Benny11

Download and run the free version of Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For example:

1 - Name contains safeness

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

Oct 21, 2019 11:10 AM in response to Benny11

Wow, you're really loaded with apps that are processor intensive. But that aside, Little Snitch, Clam X and SafeNet can conflict with each other, also they are all a constant drain on resources.

Mac needs no additional anti-malware software running. I'd uninstall them. If you want you can turn off CLamX constant scan and just use it as need but I'd dump that too.

Also, the external hard drives may be slowing you down. Disconnect them and after doing all that post another Etrecheck report.

Oct 22, 2019 8:01 AM in response to Benny11

Your EtreCheck report had its formatting scrambled so the report is hard to read, but I also see a few things.

disk2s1 - Macintosh HD

3.12 TB (Shared - 3.01 TB used - 95.47 GB free) APFS

95GB is a fair bit of space but it is only 3 percent of your total storage. Could be slowing things as the computer looks for qualifying drive blocks to write files.

Performance:

System Load: 3.73 (1 min ago) 3.92 (5 min ago) 4.75 (15 min ago) Nominal I/O speed: 15.75 MB/s

File system: 35.47 seconds

Write speed: 48 MB/s

Read speed: 44 MB/s

These read/write speeds are far too low for a 7200rpm SATA 6GBps Fusion drive. We have an entry-level 2011 iMac with a 5400rpm SATA 3GPps hard drive that posts r/w speeds in the low hundreds. Either your hard drive is in jeopardy of failing or all the extra stuff and disk crowding is slowing it. Speeds should be closer to 200mbps.

Some of the PACE software is quite old, and I've heard that it is not very good with newer versions of the macOS. If you really need it, update, If your don't need it or updates are not available, dump it.

If you do another Etrecheck run, try this to preserve the formatting: When you get ready to copy the report, DON'T highlight it. The app takes care of that. Also don't paste it into something else first; paste is directly into an "additional text" box.

Oct 22, 2019 3:15 PM in response to Benny11

I forgot this first time around:

Adware:

Safari Extension: Amazon Shopping Assistant

Reason: Adware name match

Go to Safari menu > Preferences > Extensions and remove it.

Your runtime is unreasonably long and as Allan suggests, it may indicate a failing hard drive.

Also saw in the first report that even with 32B RAM, you were using swap. Now that you restarted it cleared the RAM. Perhaps try restarting more often.

Oct 23, 2019 11:49 AM in response to macjack

Thanks. Interesting thought on the possibility of a failing hard-drive. I've got things backed up pretty well, and will keep my eye on it. Disk Utility and Disk Warrior's S.M.A.R.T status says it's functioning normally, but I hear you loud and clear.

Boot time and general use speeds have improved markedly over the past few days. So these alterations have definitely help. Some applications still hang for minutes before they are usable though.

Oct 24, 2019 12:50 PM in response to macjack

Thanks. I believe my Fusion drive does have the OS running from a SSD- part of the larger drive.

Because I'm a video editor working with extremely large files that come, go and get moved around a lot... I used to use Disk Warrior to rebuild the drive, ensuring I get the best efficiency from my drives; but since Mojave's move to APFS it is not supported just yet. Can anyone suggest a way to do something similar to defragmenting a drive (ensuring that blocks are ordered a bit)?

Oct 24, 2019 1:17 PM in response to Benny11

There's no need to defragment a drive at all. Any speed increase you perceived from that is imaginary. Since around 10.2 Jaguar, Mac OS has routinely does that on the fly. Since large files are the ones that get fragmented most they are defragged first.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/defrag-3600241/

https://www.macbooster.net/how-to/defrag-a-mac-easily

Apple uses the HFS+ (Hierarchical File System), which provides a special function Hot File Adaptive Clustering, or HFC. The main purpose of this component is to automatically prevent fragmentation of disk storage. And it automatically defragments files on its own. 

IMO if you really want to defrag a disk, just copy off the data, wipe it and then copy back.

Computer Slow Down Conflict in Mojave? Copying to usb very slow, and more...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.