Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I store my TV library on a separate hard drive, will I still be able to stream from TV without getting errors?

I got a new portable hard drive and want to download as much media as I can to it, but if I try to launch TV and try to stream something that I have downloaded on the hard drive (without the hard drive connected) will it throw errors at me? Is there a best practice for doing something like this?

(to be clear I mean the new Catalina app TV, not an Apple TV device)

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 11:07 AM

It will throw errors. If the library believes an item has been downloaded and stored locally, albeit on external media, then that location needs to be available when you want to play the content. You can potentially make a second library with no content that will let you stream anything in the cloud, then switch back to the main library with the external connected when you want to download your own copy for safekeeping.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 11:07 AM in response to Leonardo1123

It will throw errors. If the library believes an item has been downloaded and stored locally, albeit on external media, then that location needs to be available when you want to play the content. You can potentially make a second library with no content that will let you stream anything in the cloud, then switch back to the main library with the external connected when you want to download your own copy for safekeeping.

tt2

If I store my TV library on a separate hard drive, will I still be able to stream from TV without getting errors?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.