Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phone appeared infected and wouldn't let me do anything after webpage

clicked a sketch webpage apparently and then my phone went crazy. it went gray and a little pop up saying "call _____" kept coming up blinking back and forth i couldn't click anything else. couldn't turn my phone off, it was literally going insane. I finally got on the phone with 'said' number claiming to be Apple Support and they asked for my email. I told them, then they said my network was 'hacked' and I needed to pay x amount for them to take care of it. Quickly realized this was a scam so I hung up and obviously didn't give more information (despite them insisting), and I finally got out of it and got my phone to turn off and be normal after many attempts. It has been acting 100% normal since then. I have not updated my phone so I think that had to do with why it happened. Just looking for some insight here and making sure I am good lol

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 10:51 AM

No, it happened because you went to an infected web page, so don't go back to that page. And it didn't do any harm to your phone. You should probably also delete your web history and data, in Settings/Safari, as it may have left some cookies that could cause it to repeat.

Here are probably overkill instructions, but they won't hurt, either-->Dealing with Safari popups that won't… - Apple Community

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 10:51 AM in response to amg1995_

No, it happened because you went to an infected web page, so don't go back to that page. And it didn't do any harm to your phone. You should probably also delete your web history and data, in Settings/Safari, as it may have left some cookies that could cause it to repeat.

Here are probably overkill instructions, but they won't hurt, either-->Dealing with Safari popups that won't… - Apple Community

Oct 22, 2019 12:31 PM in response to Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

I doubt very much that he couldn't turn off his phone, that was probably just not being aware of how to turn it off. But if any app displays a modal dialog it freezes that app until the user responds. And sometimes there is no way to respond to the dialog, especially if it's malware. If the app is a browser it is still possible to exit the browser, although going back to it will lock it up again unless the browser history is cleared. that's what I described in my first link--Dealing with Safari popups that won't… - Apple Community. The Google app is really just another browser.

phone appeared infected and wouldn't let me do anything after webpage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.