Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bypass iTunes to reset iPhone

The reasoning behind hooking your phone to iTunes before restoring the phone is so it will back up your information so it can put it back on the phone after use restore it but if I am not worried about the information that is on the phone and we'll just start over new or sign into my older iCloud is there a way I could reset the phone to new like I just bought it out the store without using iTunes

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 10:32 PM

The reasoning behind hooking your phone to iTunes before restoring the phone is so it will back up your information

No.

The reason for using iTunes is to replace the iOS with the latest version. That is know as restoring. Since the device is without an OS during the process, iTunes is used. iTunes downloads the new OS and loads it on to the device.

The best you can do without iTunes is to erase the phone of all contents and set up as new. This leaves the current iOS version intact.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 10:32 PM in response to Cmv1213

The reasoning behind hooking your phone to iTunes before restoring the phone is so it will back up your information

No.

The reason for using iTunes is to replace the iOS with the latest version. That is know as restoring. Since the device is without an OS during the process, iTunes is used. iTunes downloads the new OS and loads it on to the device.

The best you can do without iTunes is to erase the phone of all contents and set up as new. This leaves the current iOS version intact.

Bypass iTunes to reset iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.