Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Family Share good for backing up two family members computers in Time Machine? Or should each person have their own icloud account?

I may want use time machine with icloud. My wife also has a computer. Can we share the Family Share account for backup? Or is that for sharing photos and files between computers? Do we each need a separate icloud account to use time machine backup?

I have been using a WD external hooked up to a Airport Extreme for Time Machin backups but I just got Google WiFi. There is no way to plug the WD external into the Google WiFi. I tried a USB to ethernet connector with an ethrnet switch and it's not working. Going to the cloud might just be easier.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 12:43 PM

Time Machine does not work with iCloud. See the following for information about using it with external storage devices: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Apple has an iCloud Backup service for iPhones and other iOS devices but not for Macs. They do offer the ability to sync selected data from Macs to iCloud (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive (including a Desktop and Documents option), Notes, Contacts, etc.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 12:43 PM in response to pschulen

Time Machine does not work with iCloud. See the following for information about using it with external storage devices: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Apple has an iCloud Backup service for iPhones and other iOS devices but not for Macs. They do offer the ability to sync selected data from Macs to iCloud (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive (including a Desktop and Documents option), Notes, Contacts, etc.

Is Family Share good for backing up two family members computers in Time Machine? Or should each person have their own icloud account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.