Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect Mac-to-Mac with Catalina update

I have an iMac and a MacBook and have never had problems with connecting one to the other over wifi. Suddenly, I cannot connect them.

• I have checked to make sure both are listed in my router's software as being on the network (the iMac is wired to the router, the MacBook is wireless, but both are showing up on the list of devices connected to the network).
  • I have the right boxes checked in the Finder preferences.
  • On each Mac, I can see that the other computer is listed under Finder> Network - so the computers each "know" the other is there. But when I click on Connect As (registered user) and enter the other computer's admin password, I get Connection Failed.
  • This happens in both directions (either computer to the other).

Any ideas? Grateful for any help. I use the iMac as a Time Machine backup for the MacBook, but that isn't working now since I can't connect them anymore.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 7:44 PM

On each, try disabling File Sharing, then Re-enable it.

In the options, make sure you are sharing via SMB ( you don't need to use AFP or activate any accounts under SMB).

Similar questions

1 reply

Can't connect Mac-to-Mac with Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.