Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Networking two Macs wirelessly

iMac and Mac book pro - both running Catalina. I tried to network them wirelessly. iMac shows in finder window of Mac book pro. But, it says "connection failed." I have shut down and rebooted both computers and tried this several times with no change. The name of my external hard drive connected to the iMac appears on my Mac book pro finder window under network, but its finder window in empty. Help.

iMac 21.5"

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 3:56 PM

OK, I've got it now. I had to manually put in the smb address in finder - connect to server. Browsing and checking on the name of my other computer brought up its name, allowed me to screenshare, but never would connect. If only one the many support (including Apple Help) and info I researched online had just said, "enter your smb address manually," I would have been done hours ago.

Thank you

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2019 3:56 PM in response to Tim Lashlee

OK, I've got it now. I had to manually put in the smb address in finder - connect to server. Browsing and checking on the name of my other computer brought up its name, allowed me to screenshare, but never would connect. If only one the many support (including Apple Help) and info I researched online had just said, "enter your smb address manually," I would have been done hours ago.

Thank you

Oct 28, 2019 3:09 PM in response to Tim Lashlee

If they're newer Macs Or OSes, be sure to uncheck AFP & in Finder's Go menu>Connect to server, make sure no favorites show AFP://

In Sys Prefs>Security & Privacy>Firewall tab>Firewall options, does it show File Sharing & a green Dot

In the Sharing Pref Pane on both does the smb://... show the same exact 1st 3 IP numbers?

Oct 28, 2019 3:27 PM in response to BDAqua

If they're newer Macs Or OSes, be sure to uncheck AFP & in Finder's Go menu>Connect to server, make sure no favorites show AFP://. NO FAVORITES ARE LISTED

In Sys Prefs>Security & Privacy>Firewall tab>Firewall options, does it show File Sharing & a green Dot. YES

In the Sharing Pref Pane on both does the smb://... show the same exact 1st 3 IP numbers? YES, SAME FIRST THREE NUMBERS FOR SMB. MAC BOOK PRO DOES NOT LIST AFB NUMBER.

Networking two Macs wirelessly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.