Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make a call shortcut that calls a specific number for the contact person with the new shortcuts app?

A lot of my contacts have more than one phone number (work number, mobile, international, google voice, home land line, etc.).

Before the new shortcuts app came around, I could add to Siri a command to call a specific number and everything worked great,

Now, trying to create a call shortcut in the app will always call the first number in the list. There does not seem to be a way to choose which number to use, there does not seem to be a way to specify a number instead of a contact. There even doesn't seem to be a way to reorganize the order of the phone numbers in the contacts so that the preffered number is the first one.

To reproduce:

Open shortcuts app

Create shortcut

Choose phone app

Press contact to edit the contact to call (I don't see a way to change it to number), choose your contact. Doesn't give an option to choose which number for the contact. Resulting shortcut always calls the first number.

Thanks

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 3:19 PM

Found a solution, it's long and hardous so putting it here if anyone else needs it and finds this post (what is needed now is really designed at programmers and not people)

Create a new shortcut in the siri shortcuts app.

Search for contacts -> choose contact

Press plus, choose get details of contacts -> press detail, choose phone number

Press plus, go back and search for get item, under actions select "get item from list"

press first item and choose item at index, then press "1" next to item at index to choose the right index (numbers start at 1, you can run the operation before adding this item and it will show you the list so you know which one

finally press plus again, search and choose phone, then tap call

If you run the resulting script (play button at bottom right) and hang up immediately, it will show you the number it called (you can also run before adding the call step to see the number).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 3:19 PM in response to laughing rice

Found a solution, it's long and hardous so putting it here if anyone else needs it and finds this post (what is needed now is really designed at programmers and not people)

Create a new shortcut in the siri shortcuts app.

Search for contacts -> choose contact

Press plus, choose get details of contacts -> press detail, choose phone number

Press plus, go back and search for get item, under actions select "get item from list"

press first item and choose item at index, then press "1" next to item at index to choose the right index (numbers start at 1, you can run the operation before adding this item and it will show you the list so you know which one

finally press plus again, search and choose phone, then tap call

If you run the resulting script (play button at bottom right) and hang up immediately, it will show you the number it called (you can also run before adding the call step to see the number).

How do I make a call shortcut that calls a specific number for the contact person with the new shortcuts app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.