Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina - External Hard Drives repeatedly ejected without cause.

Following the upgrade of my iMac to Catalina 10.15, some of my External Hard Discs are ejecting spontaneously. Those that are being ejected are connected through Thunderbolt 2 ports. Those connected through USB 3.0 ports are performing well. All drives are G-Tech 8TB versions

I have run 'First Aid' on the two affected discs - no problems are detected. In 'Energy Saver' 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible' is unticked. All disks worked perfectly under OS 10.14.

This is the return of an old problem that I thought had been resolved by Apple years ago. A quick web check reveals that it is alive and kicking.

I would appreciate any solutions that others have found to this problem. I would like to avoid spending another $1,000 or so to fix this by having to buy new hard drives. it seems to be software related to me.

Thank you

Peter.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 3:15 PM

Dear All

The two external hard drives continue to eject spontaneous with no specific trigger event. Only drives connected by Thunderbolt cables suffer this problem. The drives are 8TB's from G-Tech which previously were ultra reliable.

I have installed new cables and reset the SMC.

The good news is that I have managed save all data (14 TB in total) on both drives to new drives and I am now safe. I am double backed up.

One of the problem drives has both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 capability. I have reconnected that drive using a USB 3.0 cable and it no longer ejects.

I have reformatted the remaining problem drive which is Thunderbolt only, to no avail.

So something is wrong with Thunderbolt, that has been exacerbated by the upgrade to Catalina.

Any further suggestions on how to fix the problem much appreciated.

Thank you

Kind regards

Peter

180 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2019 3:15 PM in response to PeterRobin1

Dear All

The two external hard drives continue to eject spontaneous with no specific trigger event. Only drives connected by Thunderbolt cables suffer this problem. The drives are 8TB's from G-Tech which previously were ultra reliable.

I have installed new cables and reset the SMC.

The good news is that I have managed save all data (14 TB in total) on both drives to new drives and I am now safe. I am double backed up.

One of the problem drives has both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 capability. I have reconnected that drive using a USB 3.0 cable and it no longer ejects.

I have reformatted the remaining problem drive which is Thunderbolt only, to no avail.

So something is wrong with Thunderbolt, that has been exacerbated by the upgrade to Catalina.

Any further suggestions on how to fix the problem much appreciated.

Thank you

Kind regards

Peter

May 3, 2020 2:40 PM in response to PeterRobin1

Anyone want to give this a go and report back? Preventing spotlight from indexing the external drive...

I found this old apple discussion with the same issue on Yosemite with a confirmed solution. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6607988

1. Connect the volume or drive you want excluded to your Mac.

2. Open the System Preferences application.

3. Click on Spotlight, then click on the Privacy tab.

4. Drag your volume or drive into the Privacy menu to exclude them from Spotlight's indexing.

May 17, 2020 6:14 AM in response to PeterRobin1

I've got this problem too. It happened suddenly, and has been an issue with multiple drives. Being a longstanding Mac user, I've encountered this before. It usually happens with USB 3 drives, usually when connected through a hub. As far as I've been able to figure out, it's to do with macOS being unable to adapt to having a USB 3 drive operating at lower bandwidth, which happens when you connect a drive (or multiple drives) through a hub, or when multiple devices are connected to the same bus. The best solution is a direct connection and to make sure they don't share the same bus (just because you have 4 thunderbolt ports, doesn't mean internally they are each separate. On the Mac Mini 2018, for example, the two on the right are connected to one bus, while the two on the left and the USB 3 ports are on another bus.) Another solution that always seems to work is to put a USB 2 cable joiner between the USB 3 drive and where it is plugged in, effectively, this turns it into a USB 2 drive. It slows the drive down, but it makes it more reliable, which can work well for backup or non-critical data drives where speed is less important. This is also a way of controlling which drives get more bandwith and reserving it for those that need it.

It's important to understand, it's not the drives that are faulty. This is a long standing issue that needs to be fixed. My other suggestion is to give Apple feedback on this through their feedback page or write to them directly, so they are more aware of the issue.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 16, 2020 9:31 AM in response to Community User

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

Nov 25, 2019 2:32 AM in response to Travous Lucas

Hi Travous

I have managed to resolve the tactical problem. The solution has been very expensive but does seem to have worked:

1. I purchased a new external 20TB WD hard drive that connects through USB 3.0. (Cost £607.97 - say $760.00). his gave me 'headroom'.
  2. I transferred the folder contents of the 8 TB Thunderbolt connected G-Tech drive to the new WD USB 3.0 one. This was a time consuming process as I had to let the transfer process run for as long as possible before a spontaneous ejection occurred and then pick up again from where it crashed. I then manually checked that every last byte had been accurately transferred. (Cost 10 man-hours)
  3. I bought a new Thunderbolt 2m cable and reconnected the G-Tech drive (which only has a Thunderbolt connection). Cost £38 - say $50. I changed to drive power supply to a spare that I had in store.
  4. I reconnected then erased the G-Tech drive using Disk Utility (whatever happened to Format?)
  5. I transferred back to the reformatted G-Tech drive the folder contents from the WD drive and felt confident that an accurate transfer had occurred, so just did a few sample checks (Cost 1 man-hour).

The cleaned G-Tech drive has been stable for the last three weeks or so.

However, the spontaneous ejection problem has now returned on a USB 3 connected drive, which had previously been totally stable. Here we go again!

Do I still love Apple and G-Tech - Yes! Am I upset? Yes. Can I actually pin the fault on anybody, anything or the upgrade to Catalina - no! Why did I spend the time and money trying to fix the problem? My data is worth more to me than the enormous amount I have had to spend to get into a secure state.

I still do not trust the Thunderbolt connected G-Tech drive completely, so I now use it as a backup for my backup on the 20TB WD drive.

I suppose you have done all the things that I did above. If you have tried them all and you still get the problem - I am at a loss to say what can be done next. I hope that Apple or G-Tech might intervene and see if there is anything that can be done at a strategic level.

Kind regards

Peter.

May 26, 2020 9:49 AM in response to dwb

This seems to be a very, very long saga: and, like others, I'm shocked that Apple has not addressed it successfully long ago.

My experience is this:

• there are random (panic) shutdowns any time I have either or both of my new LaCie 2big Thunderbolt3 drives connected
  • this happens whether they are connected directly to the Mac, or via an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock
  • also true whether I am daisy-chaining to the LG 27" 5K monitor or using separate ports to the Mac
  • this has been happening with my Mac mini (which has also, on Apple support's advice) had an SMC re-set (no difference) AND on a brand new MacBook Pro 16. - ie it really doesn't seem to be something to don with your machine folks

For the moment, I have connected the LaCie T3 drives using their USB connections (via the OWC T3 dock). It has run this way for about a week so far, with no recurrence of the kernel panic shutdowns.

Clearly, if I'd wanted a couple of USB drives in this set-up, I'd have done it more cheaply with other options - so I do want to go back to T3 connections as soon as possible. If the expected further update to Catalina 10.15.5 doesn't resolve the issue, I'll be applying to Apple for a refund on the LaCie drives.

Jun 9, 2020 10:53 AM in response to H-E-J

Hi H-E-J,

As you might have read, I also suffered a random unmounting after installing the 10.15.5 update. For me, it turned out the hurdle to fixing the drive is the way macOS automatically kicks off a repair process without communicating this in any way via the graphical interface. It seems that when a drive is determined to require filesystem repairs, the OS silently initiates fsck_hfs (filesystem check for HFS+), which must run its course before the drive can be mounted. I killed off the fsck_hfs process using the Terminal and ran Disk Utility on the drive so that I could monitor the progress of the repair process. After many hours, the filesystem was repaired and the drive is working as expected. Fortunately, I suffered no data loss. If you are indeed encountering the same issue, I suppose you could just let the silently initiated fsck run until it fixes the filesystem damage that the update caused, but there is no feedback provided while it is running.

https://matthovey.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/resurrecting-a-time-machine/

Apple, this issue is the result of two organizational failures.

1. Please fix your QA process. Prioritize the quality of releases over their frequency. Catalina has been — by far — the buggiest macOS release I have used in years. The marketing people may crave a yearly release for their purposes, but it leads to technical debt and bugs that cause serious disruptions to users.
  2. Provide a user-centered interface when the system determines that a drive needs filesystem repairs. Less technically inclined users need to know that their drive experienced some damage and that the system is attempting to fix it. Silently initiating a process that may require upwards of a dozen hours can leave people with the impression that the drive must be erased and reformatted.

Aug 12, 2020 7:46 PM in response to ginagee123

I'm not much into installing betas either, but with all the stability issues and ongoing problems with Catalina, it seems to me that it's only a matter of time before the betas for Big Sur are better put together and more reliable than Catalina, which will probably only get a few more updates at best. To me, that makes installing the beta another option to downgrading to Mojave.

For me, the choices are:

• Stay on Catalina and put up with it for the next few months, until Big Sur is released and proven. This will cause a loss of productivity, due to ongoing issues that have already been mentioned earlier in this thread. In my case, the hard drive disconnects are only one of many issues. While my Macbook Pro works reasonably well other than being slow and laggy, my main machine has been rendered largely unusable due to kernal panics, hard drive disconnects, video playback at hyperspeed and various other Catalina issues, so remaining on this OS isn't much of an option.
  • Go back to Mojave, and loose about a week of productivity due to having to set up multiple machines from scratch. This isn't much of an option either, when the new OS is around 6 to 8 weeks away, and I'm going to have to go through this process anyway, when upgrading to Big Sur (which I will make sure to do a clean install with).
  • Upgrade to Big Sur, while it is still in beta. This isn't a good option either, due to the risk of software breaking and general issues encountered with betas. However, Big Sur looks to be a vast improvement in terms of general reliability, and it is actively being worked on, so the kinds of issues plaguing Catalina are far more likely to actually get fixed. In my view, if I'm going to encounter beta type issues with Catalina, I might as well go to an actual beta, and have the bonus of the issues being able to be reported and fixed.

I've been largely hanging in there, putting up with my main machine in its current state, using my laptop as much as possible, and even using an old iMac (running Mojave) and a ten year old Windows 10 machine for some tasks, but my patience is beginning to wear thin. Like many people, I use my computers for work and these issues have cost me a lot of time and lost productivity due to having to continually fix my machines.

May 31, 2020 4:17 PM in response to Daniel J. Wilson

One thing that might be worth trying, is with OnyX. In desperation, with two backup drives refusing to mount, and after one of my main data drives coming up as unformatted multiple times, being restored multiple times (six in total), and even being replaced and doing the same thing, but it did allow me to use the drives again. I ran the maintenance scripts in OnyX. I only discovered this after loosing the data on the data drive. I am slowly restoring this drive from the cloud, because on top of the random ejects and the drive coming up as unformatted multiple times, my Time Machine backup failed as well. It said it was backing up, but there were no files actually being saved! I have no idea why running those maintenance scripts worked, but I do know they clear a number of caches, so I am assuming that one of these must have got corrupted at some point. Here is a link to download OnyX: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html and a screenshot of the options that were selected. I didn't change any of these from the defaults as far as I'm aware.

Aug 28, 2020 9:58 PM in response to PeterRobin1

Just received my brand New 2020 iMac 5k quite a have few external drives

1 x Drobo D8 Thunderbolt 3

1 x Drobo 5D3 Thunderbolt 3

1 x Drobo 5D USB 3

1 x Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 with a adapter to Thunderbolt 3

1 x Drobo 5c USB 3 used as Time Machine back up

System installed from scratch no migration only essentials installed.

Energy Saver - Put HD to sleep disabled, Power nap disabled

Mountain installed - Prevent Unmount enabled

Still Mac goes to sleep and ejects and re-connects random drives mainly USB 3 and Thunder bolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 drive

So damm Frustrating

Catalina - External Hard Drives repeatedly ejected without cause.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.