Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2017 Heating and Battery Drain

Hi,

I'm using the MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) model. I recently also updated to macOS Catalina. However, I have been facing this issue even before the update.

My laptop keeps to uncomfortably hot temperatures on the top-right around the power button and the thunderbolt port. I've been using the laptop for a year and this is the first time I have faced this issue (it is happening for the past 5-6 days). My battery also is draining significantly faster and laptop drops charge (30% in one hour) while in sleep mode.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

Best,

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 12:11 PM

First of all, try to simply turn it off and on, if it doesn't help try to reset SMC - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295. If problem still exist maybe there is some program that draining the battery (once i faced such a problem with icloud, it was continuously trying to sync some programs through icloud, so i turned off synchronizing for programs that i don't need to and issue has gone), you can simply check my case by turning off wifi before close the lid and see, if battery draining is gone - something like that is the problem. Also you can use "Activity monitor" to look "Energy" tab for a programs that take too much energy.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2019 12:11 PM in response to Community User

First of all, try to simply turn it off and on, if it doesn't help try to reset SMC - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295. If problem still exist maybe there is some program that draining the battery (once i faced such a problem with icloud, it was continuously trying to sync some programs through icloud, so i turned off synchronizing for programs that i don't need to and issue has gone), you can simply check my case by turning off wifi before close the lid and see, if battery draining is gone - something like that is the problem. Also you can use "Activity monitor" to look "Energy" tab for a programs that take too much energy.

MacBook Air 2017 Heating and Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.