Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't sign into itunes store in itunes 11.4

after a power failure I was getting an error "We could not complete your iTunes store request. An unknown error occurred (-50)." when attempting to play an un-downloaded itunes match song.

So I tried logging out. Now I get that error, twice, when I try to sign into itunes. I'm running itunes 11.4 on macos 10.9.5 on a core i5 mac mini. And yes, I know I could update itunes and macos but the interface gets worse and worse on every itunes release and I am not interested in upgrading further. In any case, iTunes Match is reported to still work with itunes 11.4 (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204230)

I also tried clearing the itunes store cache and creating a new itunes library and logging in from there.

ideas? thanks!

-trav

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 7:37 AM

5 replies

Nov 12, 2019 4:33 PM in response to Trabbbb

3 weeks later, the problem persists...

of note, I also can't get in on a different computer running 10.9 and itunes 12. In that case it syncs my playlists but wont let me play any songs saying I'm not authorized. I go to authorize and it hangs.

Also of note this is with a different apple-id than the one I'm logged into the support forums with.... if that makes a difference...

thanks!

-trav

Nov 24, 2019 8:12 PM in response to Trabbbb

well, since you (jpeacelala) said you didn't have any luck calling Apple, I figured I would try. After an hour on the phone, the senior iTunes support person said that while iTunes 11.4 and macos 10.9 are technically still supposed to work, she would not be able to troubleshoot with me, I would need to upgrade the OS and or iTunes. Whatever, fine, I can decide to upgrade if I want it to work.

The clincher was when, to test, I de-authorized all computers from my MacBook where iTunes Match was working fine. After logging back in and re-authorizing the computer, I get a cryptic error about transferring my computer to a different AppleID. And I can no longer download songs from iTunes Match on that computer.

So, after calling Apple Support to fix something I now am in a much, much worse situation for 90 days. This is the nail in the coffin for me. I've been a huge supporter of Apple products for decades and an investor. But after this I will be divesting and switching to open source alternatives.

can't sign into itunes store in itunes 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.