Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't boot or go to recovery

My late 2012 iMac has developed a problem. Initially it was hanging at boot, I reset PRAM and SMC, to no avail. Next I booted into recovery, and reinstalled a backup from several days previously, which initially seemed to work, but when it restarted the boot froze again. So I decided to install a clean Mojave (I've been having problems with the system freezing temporarily, and a clean install was on the agenda anyway), which worked fine, but again, when I restarted the boot froze again. Now it wont boot to recovery (presumably because I deleted the recovery partition as part of the clean install) and it won't allow my to do an internet recovery either. Whatever I do, it just boots and freezes.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions - my initial thought was that the hard drive may be failing? But I'm at a bit of a loss now.

Thanks for your help

Cathal

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 9:59 AM

from the GSmartControl log:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 100 100 005 - 187
9 Power_On_Hours 036 036 000 - 28190
193 Load_Cycle_Count 020 020 000 - 800175
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 100 100 000 - 237
197 Current_Pending_Sector 097 097 000 - 280

Your hard drive is failing. Even if you didn't have Reallocated Sectors/Events and more sectors waiting to be reallocated, the drive is almost worn out anyway as evidenced by the "Load Cycle Count".

This DriveDX article has information on how to interpret these SMART attributes (aka "Health Indicators") if anyone is interested. While the information is good, it doesn't necessarily apply to each attribute fro every drive.

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx/help#ui-drive-health-dashboard-important-health-indicators

(version of knoppix is in German and it is taking a while to navigate).

There are two versions of Knoppix available to download. One in English where the file name includes "EN" and one in German identified by "DE". IIRC you can choose the language when booting Knoppix on a regular non-Apple PD, but the Macs don't allow Knoppix to display the early boot menu where you can choose the language.

One thing I have noticed - I was having problems with the system continually hanging, and was going to install a clean mojave assuming some sort of hard to track down conflict was happening. Knoppix seems to be hanging regularly for 10-20 seconds too. Surprised at this, given the very clean installation...

This sometimes happens when get a lot of bad sectors on a hard drive. This also means you won't be able to run the iMac booted from an external drive so your only option is to replace the failing hard drive. I would recommend upgrading to an SSD as it will give your iMac a very nice performance boost, but you will most likely need to also install a temperature sensor adapter cable so the iMacs fans won't run at full speed with a third party drive installed.

Replacing a drive in an iMac is not an easy task so unless you are very skilled at working on computers I strongly suggest you have an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider perform the SSD upgrade for you.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2019 9:59 AM in response to Soulladyluv

from the GSmartControl log:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 100 100 005 - 187
9 Power_On_Hours 036 036 000 - 28190
193 Load_Cycle_Count 020 020 000 - 800175
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 100 100 000 - 237
197 Current_Pending_Sector 097 097 000 - 280

Your hard drive is failing. Even if you didn't have Reallocated Sectors/Events and more sectors waiting to be reallocated, the drive is almost worn out anyway as evidenced by the "Load Cycle Count".

This DriveDX article has information on how to interpret these SMART attributes (aka "Health Indicators") if anyone is interested. While the information is good, it doesn't necessarily apply to each attribute fro every drive.

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx/help#ui-drive-health-dashboard-important-health-indicators

(version of knoppix is in German and it is taking a while to navigate).

There are two versions of Knoppix available to download. One in English where the file name includes "EN" and one in German identified by "DE". IIRC you can choose the language when booting Knoppix on a regular non-Apple PD, but the Macs don't allow Knoppix to display the early boot menu where you can choose the language.

One thing I have noticed - I was having problems with the system continually hanging, and was going to install a clean mojave assuming some sort of hard to track down conflict was happening. Knoppix seems to be hanging regularly for 10-20 seconds too. Surprised at this, given the very clean installation...

This sometimes happens when get a lot of bad sectors on a hard drive. This also means you won't be able to run the iMac booted from an external drive so your only option is to replace the failing hard drive. I would recommend upgrading to an SSD as it will give your iMac a very nice performance boost, but you will most likely need to also install a temperature sensor adapter cable so the iMacs fans won't run at full speed with a third party drive installed.

Replacing a drive in an iMac is not an easy task so unless you are very skilled at working on computers I strongly suggest you have an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider perform the SSD upgrade for you.

Oct 23, 2019 9:32 PM in response to Soulladyluv

It sounds like a failing hard drive. The easiest way to check the hard drive is by creating a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). Option Boot the Knoppix drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". Once at the Knoppix desktop, click on the "Start" menu in the lower left of the Taskbar and navigate to "System Tools --> GSmartControl". Within the GSmartControl app double-click on the iMac's drive which will open up a window containing health information about the drive. Post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Post the report for each drive in your iMac if you have a Fusion Drive setup.

Edit: Give Knoppix time to boot. If the hard drive is failing, it can really affect the boot times from other media, plus some USB drives can be extremely slow. Sometimes a Mac may appear frozen with no mouse movement and it may not appear to be booting Knoppix due to the peculiar nature of the Mac boot process. Give it some time and you may see Knoppix boot. It is rare Knoppix doesn't boot on a Mac.

Nov 2, 2019 5:47 AM in response to HWTech

Hi there - took me a while because the system stopped recognising bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so I had to get some wired ones. I ran GSmartControl whch seems to have given the disk a somewhat clean bill of health, but picked up some issues which I am not sure about the seriousness of - I have pasted in the additional text window (version of knoppix is in German and it is taking a while to navigate).

Thanks again for your help with this.

Cathal

Nov 2, 2019 4:55 PM in response to HWTech

Hi there - thank you very much for the benefit of your expertise, I am very grateful. I will replace the drive with an SSD, as you suggest.

In terms of the technical expertise involved, whilst I havent worked on iMacs, I have built hundreds of PCs over the years (and replaced macbook components) - clearly the key difference with iMacs is the screen removal. I have repaired a number of mobile phones, and having watched several tutorials I am content that, taken together, the techniques are similar enough that I should be able to complete the drive replacement competently enough.

Very many thanks again for your help,

Cathal

Nov 2, 2019 5:37 PM in response to Soulladyluv

It sounds like you have the necessary skills, but it can still be difficult since the cables inside are very hard to access since they are so short while holding the LCD panel. The cables and connectors are very fragile. Definitely review the iFixIt.com repair guides and maybe a YouTube video. When removing the Display keep it upright. If you try to lay the LCD flat you risk it cracking under its own weight.

Mac won't boot or go to recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.