Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird clicking noise from iPhone 11

I’ve got the iPhone 11 and I don’t know if this is normal but I only noticed it the other day but there is a weird clicking sound when you use swipe up to get off the app you’re using and other things it vibrates but it also has a weird clicking sound is there any solutions?

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 10:29 PM

Hi I also have this problem. Anyone with a solution please?

I use an iPhone 11 and I was on iOS 13 when I noticed the issue. I've been using my phone for a while now and tbh I'm not sure when the weird clicking started and I only noticed it today. I've since updated to iOS 13.3, hoping that it'd go away with the update but that didn't work, the weird clicks are still here.

Just to name a few examples, I hear a clicking sound (kinda like the keyboard clicks but a lot softer and subtle) when:

• swiping up to toggle between apps whether I'm in an app or on the home screen
  • tapping on any app or function from within the control centre
  • tapping and holding on anything including like apps on the home screen or links in a browser
  • toggling any toggles such as within the settings app
  • zooming in and also zooming out of anything such as photos or a website in a browser

And like all the earlier users, nothing works. I've tried setting my phone to silent mode, turning system haptics off, resetting all my sounds and vibrations settings, turning off vibration in accessibility, performing a hard reset (volume up, volume down, press and hold lock button until apple logo comes back on), updating my iOS..

Can apple please fix this? Or if anyone has a solution, please share! The clicks are driving me nuts!

84 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 10:29 PM in response to Fahro-

Hi I also have this problem. Anyone with a solution please?

I use an iPhone 11 and I was on iOS 13 when I noticed the issue. I've been using my phone for a while now and tbh I'm not sure when the weird clicking started and I only noticed it today. I've since updated to iOS 13.3, hoping that it'd go away with the update but that didn't work, the weird clicks are still here.

Just to name a few examples, I hear a clicking sound (kinda like the keyboard clicks but a lot softer and subtle) when:

• swiping up to toggle between apps whether I'm in an app or on the home screen
  • tapping on any app or function from within the control centre
  • tapping and holding on anything including like apps on the home screen or links in a browser
  • toggling any toggles such as within the settings app
  • zooming in and also zooming out of anything such as photos or a website in a browser

And like all the earlier users, nothing works. I've tried setting my phone to silent mode, turning system haptics off, resetting all my sounds and vibrations settings, turning off vibration in accessibility, performing a hard reset (volume up, volume down, press and hold lock button until apple logo comes back on), updating my iOS..

Can apple please fix this? Or if anyone has a solution, please share! The clicks are driving me nuts!

Oct 30, 2019 10:07 AM in response to Fahro-

Good afternoon Fahro-,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are hearing a "clicking" sound when you swipe on the display on your iPhone 11. This is most likely the Haptics that you are experiencing. Try changing some of the settings on your iPhone to change this behavior.

• Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  • Tap Sounds & Haptics
  • At the top of the screen you will see options for Vibrate
  • Scroll towards the bottom of the screen and you will see options for Keyboard Clicks and the sound your iPhone makes when you lock it.
  • At the bottom of the screen you can turn off the System Haptics

Change iPhone sounds and vibrations - iPhone User Guide - iOS 13

Try adjusting these settings and let me know if you need more help with this.

Take care.

Dec 23, 2019 11:14 PM in response to fbayramli

I believe this now to be apart or a bug of the haptic feedback system where in certain apps and system features it give you a slight vibration, such as when your holding the volume button up or down continuously or in such apps as facebook when scrolling videos you will only feel it under certain conditions, even with the phone in silent and with system haptics off it still does it slightly.

You will feel a click or slight nudge when face unlock unlocks also.

Both my iPhone 11 and my girlfriends iPhone 11 have this issue, both on 13.3

It is also worth saying, her iPhone 8 plus did the same but my iPhone 7 did not.

To me if the phone is in silent and system haptics is off you should not hear or feel anything when doing anything on the phone.

Dec 31, 2019 5:44 PM in response to Fahro-

I’ve been having that since the first update from iOS 13. I thought it’s a hardware issue, cuz I’ve dropped my phone, although on a carpet, so there’s no visual damage. But I started noticing that and couldn’t find an answer. I have that noticeable click when the phone unlocks by Face ID, when I zoom in and out my photos and many other cases, although it depends on the app. So I think this is a software issue. Looking forward to know what’s the real case is

Jan 2, 2020 5:05 AM in response to Fahro-

Hi! I also have this problem.. its driving me crazy! Talked on the phone with apple and they said that I will need to send the phone to a lab and have it opened to see whats the problem, I dont want to open my phone bc my service in my country sucks.. and I dont know if its worth it. Tried ALL of the fixes on the web including silent mode, turning all of the vibration on the phone and etc.. this is a problem of like 3 years on apple devices and I see a ton of people with this problem. Very disappointed from a “high end” iphone 11 that has the price tag of like 1000$.... if anyone have a fix pls reply!

Feb 4, 2020 1:28 PM in response to ashukguy

The guys at Genius Bar told me that it was a hardware issue, but I’m not sure if they really know what the problem is. But I tried the iPhones already up-to-date in the store, they worked properly without any click sound. So this is still mysterious for me, but at least this hardware-related issue conclusion gives me a repair and a possible replacement.

Feb 4, 2020 1:55 PM in response to yuan240

Now Annoying clicking and vibrating sound is randomly happening and then going away and then starts again. As I mentioned prior, I have 8 plus...which I’ve had just shy of 2 years and never had this. This started happening after the second to latest update. Being that many are saying it’s happening on the 11 and I’m 8 plus, that’s why I was thinking more of a software update issue. But who knows. It’s super annoying but more annoying to go to Apple store and then they have no true idea.

Feb 4, 2020 9:34 PM in response to LMD1364

Ended up going to the apple store about this issue today. They asked me to restore my iPhone there. The issue was not resolved. Management got involved and couldn’t hear the noise as it is a noisy environment. I asked to go to a quieter room, he then took me to the back and claimed it was normal because his iPhone made the same nose. He then got a new iPhone 11 and saw the new iPhone didn’t have that issue. They determined it was a hardware issue (haptic) and replaced the phone.

Weird clicking noise from iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.