Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage options when removing photos from MacBook to free up space

My MacBook Pro is jammed full with some 20 years of digital photos. Some are still organised in Albums and Events from iPhoto, white the later ones are categorised in Moments, Years, Places etc from Photo. It is chaotic. I've never got my head around how to organise photos within the Photo app.

Now all my photos are hogging too much space on my computer so I need to remove them. I am not talking about a backup and leaving them on my computer. I am wanting to remove them somewhere else...online, in the cloud, google drive, separate hard disk etc. What is the best place for them, and how do I do it so as to keep them organised? What format folders? Some are well labelled and have great descriptions. If I want to retrieve them at some stage, or pull out particular photos, I need to know where to find (search) them.

Thanks for your opinions.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 6:29 PM

Hi Moon J.

So...I managed to free up a lot of space by deleting earlier backups of my iPhones and iPod, sufficiently so that I don't have to remove the Photo library. However, I decided to do it anyway and start a fresh library. By the way, I don't use iCloud.

I copied the existing Photo library and pasted to an external drive. To my shock, copying and pasting deleted it from it's original place on my MBPro. I copied it back and I believe it is now on both the computer and ext HD. Does that sound right? Do I need to create an alias or anything to the ext HD?

Then I created a new photo library that I wanted to drag some photos from the original library into, but it wouldn't allow me to get past the first set up window. So my workaround was to duplicate the original library and rename it. Is it not possible to rename it within Photos preferences? I could only rename it in the Finder.

Now I will delete all the photos on the new library up to 2108 and retain both libraries on the computer for the time being, until it is necessary to free more space.

Have I done everything right? If I delete my original library from the MBPro, am I safe?

I am also going to back up to a second HD.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 6:29 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi Moon J.

So...I managed to free up a lot of space by deleting earlier backups of my iPhones and iPod, sufficiently so that I don't have to remove the Photo library. However, I decided to do it anyway and start a fresh library. By the way, I don't use iCloud.

I copied the existing Photo library and pasted to an external drive. To my shock, copying and pasting deleted it from it's original place on my MBPro. I copied it back and I believe it is now on both the computer and ext HD. Does that sound right? Do I need to create an alias or anything to the ext HD?

Then I created a new photo library that I wanted to drag some photos from the original library into, but it wouldn't allow me to get past the first set up window. So my workaround was to duplicate the original library and rename it. Is it not possible to rename it within Photos preferences? I could only rename it in the Finder.

Now I will delete all the photos on the new library up to 2108 and retain both libraries on the computer for the time being, until it is necessary to free more space.

Have I done everything right? If I delete my original library from the MBPro, am I safe?

I am also going to back up to a second HD.

Oct 30, 2019 5:10 PM in response to Ros

Hello Ros,

Thanks for checking out the help article provided. Apple Photos and iCloud Photos utilize your entire library as a whole, but you have a couple options with Photos and libraries though. Before you start, be sure to back up your library.

One such option will be to export those older photos to the external drive. This will keep them in the Photo Library, but they will only be accessible with the external drive connected to your Mac. This article talks about this: Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

"If you prefer, you can store photos and videos outside the Photos library (for example, in a folder on your Mac or on an external drive) and still view them in Photos. Files stored outside your library are called referenced files."

For the original idea with moving libraries, but with your desire to only do this with half your library, your option is to create a separate Photos library. Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Either option will help you make space on your internal drive, but you will need to decide how to split the libraries up, export the files to the external, use referenced files or make the separate libraries.

If you really only wish to retain the older photo and don't plan on accessing that library very often, I recommend separate libraries. To start, first move your current library to the external drive, to regain the storage space on your computer. This keeps all your files intact and centrally located on the external drive. Do not complete step 6 though, as this will be your second library not for use as the System Library: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Then, on your computer you can create a new library, and designate it as your system library. Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Please be aware, this will remove any and all photos from your computer and iCloud, and they will only be saved on the external drive. Then, use the article above for working with additional libraries, and export your most important new files from the external drive, to your new Photos System Library. When this is completed, only the newer photos will be saved on your computer and will then sync with iCloud, and be accessible in your other apps. When everything is completed, you will need to switch to your main library, and remember when you wish to move photos to the external drive or work with that second library, to connect your external hard drive, and switch the library using the process above.

To ensure you export the photos properly, and not just drag the thumbnails, please check this help article: Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac - Apple Support

I can't stress this enough, before any major changes to your photos and your libraries, I recommend you ensure you back up your library. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Nov 7, 2019 12:42 PM in response to Ros

Hello Ros,

Thanks for providing the additional info. If you used the export feature from Photos to an external drive, or copied the photos from the Photos folder, and not the thumbnails from the Photos app, it should be safe.

Since it's difficult to verify the process was completed properly here in the Apple Support Communities, and there is high risk of losing 20 years of memories, I recommend working with AppleCare to verify your photos are backed up and safe on another drive.

Use this link to contact AppleCare: Contact - Official Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Storage options when removing photos from MacBook to free up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.