Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app window opens on startup since Catalina installed; not selected to open apps upon start up

How do you fix this issue? Upon shutdown I do not select to open app windows at startup, yet the Mail app opens.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 3:43 PM

Hi djinMke2,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that the Mail app is launching on start up since upgrading to macOS Catalina, but you don't have any items selected to launch on log in. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. I'd recommend starting your Mac in safe mode and testing for the behavior: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue seems to be resolved in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test for the behavior again. If the issue persists in safe mode or after you've restarted, use the resources below to check your login items:

"Test your login items

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
    2. Click your account name below Current User, then click Login Items at the top of the window.
    3. Make a list of the login items—you’ll need to remember them later.
    4. Select all of the login items, then click the Remove button .
    5. Choose Apple menu > Restart.
    6. If this solves the problem, open Users & Groups preferences again, add the login items one at a time, and restart your Mac after adding each one.
    7. When the problem occurs again, follow the steps above to remove only the last login item you added."

If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems

If you've already tested these or the behavior continues, test again in a new user and let me know what you find: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Best Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2019 3:43 PM in response to djinMke2

Hi djinMke2,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that the Mail app is launching on start up since upgrading to macOS Catalina, but you don't have any items selected to launch on log in. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. I'd recommend starting your Mac in safe mode and testing for the behavior: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue seems to be resolved in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test for the behavior again. If the issue persists in safe mode or after you've restarted, use the resources below to check your login items:

"Test your login items

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
    2. Click your account name below Current User, then click Login Items at the top of the window.
    3. Make a list of the login items—you’ll need to remember them later.
    4. Select all of the login items, then click the Remove button .
    5. Choose Apple menu > Restart.
    6. If this solves the problem, open Users & Groups preferences again, add the login items one at a time, and restart your Mac after adding each one.
    7. When the problem occurs again, follow the steps above to remove only the last login item you added."

If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems

If you've already tested these or the behavior continues, test again in a new user and let me know what you find: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Best Regards.

Nov 1, 2019 9:48 AM in response to djinMke2

Hi djinMke2,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details. Since you mention that this is intermittently affecting apps other than Mail on your Mac I'd suggest using this resource to run First Aid via Disk Utility: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

If the issue persists, use the resources below to create a backup, then reinstall macOS:

Take Care.

Nov 1, 2019 9:09 AM in response to MoonJ.

The mail app does not show up in login items. The issue continues intermittently with Mail, Safari and even the System Preferences window. It occurs even though I quit the app/close the window and then shut down. The only thing that has changed since this problem occurred was the update to Catalina and now the subsequent update to 10.15.1.

Nov 21, 2019 7:30 AM in response to djinMke2

Well the issue continues to persist. Typically either Safari or the Mail window pops up during a launch even though not selected to do so. Happens on both my older Mac Mini and my wife's new MacBook Air. Also the mail app does not open when clicked on in the dock. The icon bounces once and that's it. It is necessary to click on it again to actually open it.

Removing and reinstalling the MAC OS seems quite drastic especially since one device is new. The problem never existed before the Catalina update (and subsequent updates). I see this as a OS bug. I will reach out to Apple to see if I can get some technical support before attempting to reinstall the OS.

Mail app window opens on startup since Catalina installed; not selected to open apps upon start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.