Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best software to burn DVDs onto my Mac Pro?

I recently had my Mac Pro repaired and had it wiped clean. In doing so, I loss the software I used to burn dvd movies onto my Mac. Any suggestions on a good software to use?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 9:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 11:54 AM

Hello Senall7! I'll try to keep it short and sweet-

If you want to just put files onto a disk, you can use the Finder to do that. See this guide.

If you're looking for something to be playable in a DVD player like a traditional DVD would, you can find a copy of iDVD and use that, provided you're not on macOS Catalina, as it does not support it. I am not familiar without any alternatives as I have always used iDVD, so I cannot give recommendations for that.

If you want to burn Disc Images (files such as .iso, .cdr, .dmg, etc), you can use Disk Utility, or the Finder to do that. See this guide, or check at the bottom of this page.

I hope this helps!

-Geotrax

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2019 11:54 AM in response to Senall7

Hello Senall7! I'll try to keep it short and sweet-

If you want to just put files onto a disk, you can use the Finder to do that. See this guide.

If you're looking for something to be playable in a DVD player like a traditional DVD would, you can find a copy of iDVD and use that, provided you're not on macOS Catalina, as it does not support it. I am not familiar without any alternatives as I have always used iDVD, so I cannot give recommendations for that.

If you want to burn Disc Images (files such as .iso, .cdr, .dmg, etc), you can use Disk Utility, or the Finder to do that. See this guide, or check at the bottom of this page.

I hope this helps!

-Geotrax

Nov 12, 2019 3:32 AM in response to Senall7

What was the software you used to use? If we know the name we might be able to suggest how to reinstall it.

As a general answer the common choices are as follows.

As far as I can see iDVD was never on the Mac App Store so you would need the original installer disc.

You should setup a system to backup your Mac, if you had previously done this you would have been able to restore your Mac after it was repaired and still have the original apps. Apple's built-in Time Machine is the easiest way to do this. See - Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Oct 25, 2019 11:24 AM in response to Senall7

That all depends on if you want to pay, by that I mean, buy, software. Used to be that iDVD would work fine, especially for burning dvd movies. You could have added a fancy menu screen with a snapshot from the movie you wanted to burn, or animated stuff if you wanted to get cute, but I'm sure that iDVD works with Mojave anymore. It used to work with Sierra, and back in the day,

Apple threw in a copy, along with the iWork suite, for free. Apple doesn't do that anymore. iDVD may be available in the App store but I haven't checked for a few years, as my optical drives have all gone kaput. there's "Burn" which is free (maybe donationware) and that can burn movies, and NTI Dragon Burn. There are a bunch of applications out there which will burn movies and let you add fancy menus and stuff, but they are pay. About the only other one I've had experience with is Roxio's Toast which burns pretty much anything/everything to disk, even, if you wanted to spend extra to do that, Blu Ray's.

About the only other thing I could say which might be helpful would be to be picky when choosing the type of blank dvd to burn. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden work just fine. Maxell and Sony do not. As to why this is, I don't know.

john b

What is the best software to burn DVDs onto my Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.