Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac friendly printer

in advance, thank you all for your help

I own 2 older hp printers: Laserjet 1300n and a Officejet 8600. since I upgraded to 10.15, my printers don't work properly.

• ie: laser prints 1st sheet as 8x10 (the way it has been setup and using for many years) the rest try to print on legal paper (which jams the printer every time.
  • Officejet won't print at all, but the "print drivers" from HP will allow it to scan, but not print.
  • similar problem on my Windoze computer
  • works on Linux computer and on iPhone.
  • ** HP will not support either printer

now to my question: what printer company is Mac Friendly? and what printer model do you recommend. BTW: I'd like to keep things below $300, preferably below $159 USD

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 7:22 AM

Officejet 8600

That model sounded familiar to me, so please read Reinstall HP Officejet 8600 using Mojave… - Apple Community. The salient point was that the exact model designation had to include the n911a part. Even deeper in my memory is a recollection that particular model needed a firmware update to work with AirPrint, so go back to HP's website and see if you can find it.

As for the LaserJet 1300n I'm not so sure, but I know it's one of HP's older ones that was built to last. If you don't get anywhere the last-ditch solution would be to purchase an AirPrint print server. A variety of them can be found at the end of Apple's About AirPrint document. For whatever reason Lantronix seems to have discontinued certain Xprintserver devices but they are readily available on the used market. That's what I would use if I had to.

works on Linux computer and on iPhone.

That's odd, and suggests it should certainly work with your Mac. Just be sure you are using its AirPrint driver.

If you research Apple's Support documentation you will eventually find an admonition to not install drivers from the manufacturer for AirPrint printers but try HP's EasyStart software VikingOSX suggested anyway.

now to my question: what printer company is Mac Friendly? and what printer model do you recommend. BTW: I'd like to keep things below $300, preferably below $159 USD

To answer that question, these days I have been specifying Brother printers. Although all printers are pretty much cheap disposable junk any more, Brother's have been the most trouble-free in my experience. They're very inexpensive and you are certain to find a variety of models within those cost constraints. Just be sure to get one that specifically indicates AirPrint.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2019 7:22 AM in response to helicopter

Officejet 8600

That model sounded familiar to me, so please read Reinstall HP Officejet 8600 using Mojave… - Apple Community. The salient point was that the exact model designation had to include the n911a part. Even deeper in my memory is a recollection that particular model needed a firmware update to work with AirPrint, so go back to HP's website and see if you can find it.

As for the LaserJet 1300n I'm not so sure, but I know it's one of HP's older ones that was built to last. If you don't get anywhere the last-ditch solution would be to purchase an AirPrint print server. A variety of them can be found at the end of Apple's About AirPrint document. For whatever reason Lantronix seems to have discontinued certain Xprintserver devices but they are readily available on the used market. That's what I would use if I had to.

works on Linux computer and on iPhone.

That's odd, and suggests it should certainly work with your Mac. Just be sure you are using its AirPrint driver.

If you research Apple's Support documentation you will eventually find an admonition to not install drivers from the manufacturer for AirPrint printers but try HP's EasyStart software VikingOSX suggested anyway.

To answer that question, these days I have been specifying Brother printers. Although all printers are pretty much cheap disposable junk any more, Brother's have been the most trouble-free in my experience. They're very inexpensive and you are certain to find a variety of models within those cost constraints. Just be sure to get one that specifically indicates AirPrint.

Oct 26, 2019 6:20 AM in response to helicopter

HP released Easy Start software (v2.9.0.188) on Oct 9, 2019 for the OfficeJect 8600 e-all-in-one printer N911a. Once you download, install and run Easy Start, it will reach out to HP and find the appropriate printer driver (or not). There happen to be three devices in this family:

1. HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a, product #CM749A
  2. HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer - N911g, product #CM750A
  3. HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium e-All-in-One Printer - N911n, product #CN577A

HP shows support through macOS Sierra, and that may or may not be true with the Oct. Easy Start release. The last Mac operating system that HP shows support for the HP LaserJet 1300N is mac os 9. So, you may have to hang that LJ 1300N on a Linux box, and aim macOS CUPS at that printer.

The HP 1300 and 1320 are supported in the 64-bit Gutenprint v5.3.3, but the Gutenprint team has reported issues with installing it on Catalina, and are unsure if it will properly work there. Also, they are unable to provide a timeline to get it working on Catalina. Gutenprint v5.3.3 will work on Mojave. There is no HP OfficeJet 8600 support in Gutenprint v5.3.3.

I have a Samsung ML-2950 series laser for which there are no drivers for Catalina, but the device does support Apple's e-print so it works like a charm.

Mac friendly printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.