Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Antivirus and malware programs.

Is it necessary to have antivirus and malware programs on my Apple products (IPhone, IPad, MacBook Pro)? And if so what are your recommendations and where do I get it? Thanks.

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 7:12 AM

3 replies

Oct 26, 2019 7:15 AM in response to camaylove

No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system. Your Mac has all the built-in protection you need.

macOS - Security - Apple

iOS also cannot get viruses unless jailbroken.

Oct 26, 2019 7:20 AM in response to camaylove

The best protection against malware is you. Don't download pirated software or install anything from sites where you are not satisfied they are trusted and secure. I have only ever seen a single virus/malware on my Mac and that was in 1994 I think (so a very different operating system). Some people scan occasionally with Malwarebytes but the few times I have done that it never picked up anything so I only do it maybe once or twice per year (plus I use an 8 year old macOS which probably doesn't have the built-in level of protection that newer versions have). MacOS may have its own foibles but it doesn't have the virus and malware issues to the extent other systems do, if you are recently switching from one of them.

Antivirus and malware programs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.