Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app won't open (crashes) each time

After deleting most of my manually-created mailboxes on Gmail, the Mail application quits seconds after opening. The same happened after I opened Mail in safe mode. Then I rebooted in safe mode with the same results.

I can still open Gmail via the Internet, but obviously won't be able to see the mails that I have stored in the mailboxes set up on my Mac.

I have a week-old backup on Time Machine, but a lot has happened since then and I am reluctant to restore the entire system unless that's the only way.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 8:27 AM

5 replies

Oct 26, 2019 11:40 AM in response to CrobApple

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Oct 26, 2019 1:18 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks very much for your advice. However, none of the above will allow me into Mail yet but you are obviously on the right track because Mail quits just when it says "Downloading Messages ... ".

I have accessed my mail via the web and deleted all emails from the last 2 weeks (even permanently deleted all of the deleted items) and gone through the routine you suggested and I still have the same problem.

I also took a backup in Time Machine during the day, so now that I have deleted all of these emails, I might as well restore the OS from last week's backup and then copy the more recent files from today's backup.

It is 22:15 here in South Africa right now, so I'll do this in the morning.

Mail app won't open (crashes) each time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.