Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black screen trying to boot from an external disk drive

I recently purchased a used (mid 2010) Mac Pro so that I can use a Pro Tools Native HD card using Pro Tools HD 10. The computer shipped with Sierra and I'm trying to boot to an external disk to run Mountain Lion. I believe that I have installed ML on an external drive using Diskmaker X. However, when I restart the machine, holding down the option/alt key I get a black screen. Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 2:45 PM

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion is how to get a copy of Mountain Lion.

Since the mid-2010 Mac Pro shipped with Snow Leopard system specific, you will need to get a copy of the system specific 10.6 installer for the Mac Pro from AppleCare if missing, then upgrade to 10.6.8 combo update to install the Mac App Store.

Then you'll be able to use the above link to buy 10.8.

Alternatively, if you have a bootable copy of 10.7, you can clone that to your Mac, and then run the link from the App Store above.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2019 2:45 PM in response to jagorka

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion is how to get a copy of Mountain Lion.

Since the mid-2010 Mac Pro shipped with Snow Leopard system specific, you will need to get a copy of the system specific 10.6 installer for the Mac Pro from AppleCare if missing, then upgrade to 10.6.8 combo update to install the Mac App Store.

Then you'll be able to use the above link to buy 10.8.

Alternatively, if you have a bootable copy of 10.7, you can clone that to your Mac, and then run the link from the App Store above.

black screen trying to boot from an external disk drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.