Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Cannot Play This Video Because the Resource is Unavailable After Catalina Update

Upgraded to Catalina Oct 7.

Computer stuck in a "Log into iCloud" loop so I logged out and back in so my computer began the long process of checking all my already downloaded and original photos on my Mac (Retina 5k, 27", 2019, 3.6 GHz 8-Core i9; 72GB memory, Pro Vega 48 8GB) vs what's up in my iCloud acct. For reference, it's a sh*tload of pics and videos. 1.5TB. 105k pics, 10k photos. Some raw pics in there, lots of 4k shot on phones, dslrs, etc.

Anyhow, finally made some good progress over the course of almost 3 weeks. Photos taken on iCloud logged in devices like phones and iPads are beaming up to cloud no problem, and then my iMac (set to Download Originals) is updating my Photo library in what seems to be real time with those pics. There don't appear to be any more pics that my computer is trying to upload to the cloud. Everything seems to be accessible in iCloud, in original size and format, by using a browser to view my library. On my computer is a slightly different story, however.

My computer is trying to Download 218 originals and has been for about 4 days. I looked around to see what exactly is going on and have been able to figure out that at least 140 of those 218 pics are GoPro video related issues.

On my computer, within my Photo library, I have a GoPro smart album for all videos shot with my Hero 7 Black. When I click to play on any of these videos within Photos, I get the message "Cannot Play Video: Photos Cannot Play this video because the resource is unavailable." That same video can be watched on a web browser logged into my iCloud act and library, however.

Interestingly, when I download that same original file from my iCloud act on a web browser TO my desktop, the same thing happens: If i try to import that file into my Photos library, and play it, i get the same error. However, that file can be played using Quicktime.

Same is true for the file as seen in the Photos app: If I export unmodified version of that file from Photos to my desktop, I can play that file using Quicktime but it can't be played within Photos.

Any thoughts my friends?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 5:18 AM

Similar questions

28 replies

Oct 28, 2019 10:05 AM in response to E lop

Catalina does no longer support all image and video formats, that have been supported by earlier system versions.

I would convert all videos to one of the formats that are listed here for iMovie: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209029

You will probably find all videos, that are no longer compatible with Photos 5.0 in the album "Unable to upload". Export the originals from Photos to a folder on the Desktop and try to convert them to a different format.

Where is your Photos Library stored? The error Message "Ressource not found" could be caused by permission problems or an incompatible filesystem of the volume with the Photos Library. I have seen this warning, if he library is on volume with a case-sensitive format, for example.

Oct 28, 2019 11:15 AM in response to E lop

I do not have a Gopro, so I cannot check. But I had to delete several older videos from my Photos Library after the Catalina upgrade. They all turned up in "Unable to upload".

If your Photos Library is on your system volume in the Pictures folder, you may want to repair the permissions your system volume; tis may fix the missing ressource problem, if file ownership should be the problem, see: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

Oct 30, 2019 2:41 AM in response to E lop

1. FWIW when i select a problematic video within Photos, and go to Image-->edit with-->quicktime, I get this message: "An error occurred while preparing external edit- Failed to download CPLResourceTypeMediaMetaData for AY0ZIF0HRYsstRIQWu4pJ6rEq5fA#PrimarySync (Asset field not found)."
  2. Some videos that weren't playable seem to be playable now within Photos. I'm not sure if it was the rebuild/repair or something else that is going on while the computer now uploads all my newly repaired library into the cloud, but I suppose that's progress? Whats interesting is that some videos are available others are not AND some videos that were available a couple hours ago no longer are.

Oct 28, 2019 7:47 AM in response to E lop

Update: Tried rebuilding/repairing library. Does not seem to have immediately rectified the situation...still getting same message "Trying to download 218 etc.".

On top of that, there are now a bunch of photos showing up as "Unable to Upload" for whatever reason. These are files that were already on my computer, and in the cloud, taken somewhat recently. The number of photos is growing. When I log into my iCloud browser I see those photos still available in my iCloud account..

Oct 28, 2019 10:24 AM in response to léonie

Hi, the unable to upload photos all seem to be compatible file types. In fact, many were shot recently on my iPhone (11 pro). Others are png files, etc. Nothing that should be incompatible it appears. Also, these files already seem to be in the cloud (I see them when i look at iCloud through a browser).

Re the resource not found issue, I'm not sure what's going on there. Still have the issue after rebuild/repair.

Oct 28, 2019 10:31 AM in response to léonie

I use one library and that library is the Pictures folder on the iMac itself, not an external volume.

Good point regarding iCloud. Perhaps there are files up there that are unplayable on my Photos app. I don't know how Gopro videos, for example, (4k HEVC MP4) would fall into that category, though.

Oct 29, 2019 7:48 PM in response to léonie

Don't believe it's a permissions problem. I'm waiting for Photos to "upload" to the cloud after having rebuilt/repaired the library. This process will take a few more days, minimum, I gather.

I'm hopeful it will resolve matters.

FWIW the creative support team at Apple recommended I just scrap this library entirely and create a new one. So basically download my entire library from iCloud into a new library on my mac. Then delete the old. I tried the first part (download the full iCloud library into a new library on my mac, optimized for storage). I then tried to play a full size version of an optimized GoPro video and go the same source message soooooooo for now I'm going to scrap the new library plan and let the old continue to upload to the cloud, in the hopes that the repair/rebuild has fixed matters.

Nov 6, 2019 9:47 AM in response to E lop

Im still in uploading purgatory after having repaired my library. About 80% done, it appears.

Interestingly, I'm getting the error message "Resource not found" on more videos than was the case earlier.

We will see what happens.

I tried opening Photos in safe mode to see if those same videos worked. They did not. Same error.

Dec 1, 2019 2:33 AM in response to E lop

I have exactly the same issue. After upgrading to Catalina, Photos is refusing to play some of the older videos and gives a "Resource not found" error. I managed to find these videos in the "Masters.legacy" folder, tried saving that as a .mov in Quicktime Player, importing the file to Photos and it plays. Based on quick tests, the problem seems to apply to all mp4 videos in the Masters.legacy folder, i.e. I'll need to do the process above for ~300 videos :(

Any ready code / scripts available to convert those videos and keep the original creation date during the import?

Dec 1, 2019 5:01 AM in response to Mikael Puittinen

Mikael, thank you so much for your input. Where is the location of this masters.legacy folder within Catalina? I would love to check if the videos I see there are the ones that are giving me this error.

I would add, however, that the problematic videos aren't that old, from what I can tell. They are mostly GoPro videos shot in 2019 and some Nikon D850 videos shot over the course of the last 18-24 months

Dec 1, 2019 7:54 PM in response to E lop

I'm having the same issue with Videos and Photos. Everything that was imported with iPhoto back then just cannot be played, exported or otherwise viewed. The only Video files I can see are the most recent ones, imported with the Catalina Photos App.

The photos also appear pixelated, as if it had used the thumbnail files instead of the original masters.

I tried starting from scratch

I'm so frustrated they broke this app...

Photos Cannot Play This Video Because the Resource is Unavailable After Catalina Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.