Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

batch rename extension

I used automator to rename some .jpg and .png files that had a really long file name created by Gallery Bank back to the original shorter name. But for some strange reason the .jpg and .png exentsions ended with a ?. So its .jpg? and .png?. I can manually get rid for the ? but I can't batch get rid of it. If I try to do it through finder, I get a message that I can't use the filename because of invalid character and if I try to use the "mv *.jpg? *.jpg" or "mv *.jpg* *.jpg" all I get the is the help screen showing the options for the mv command. I would love to batch correct these files because I have a ton of them and don't want to spend time manually changing them if I can find a way automate the process.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 5:07 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 28, 2019 8:12 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you. That actually worked. At first I didn't think it would work because it kept saying that there was nothing to find I tried jpg? and none of the files showed a question mark when loaded in to the program. Turns out there was a long space at the end that went down the next line. I found if I highlighted from the extension to the end and then copied it and paste it in the find utility, it would then show that the file would be renamed properly. Man it saved a lot of time by doing this. Thank you for your help.

batch rename extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.