Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cataline accountsd problem!

Hi everyone,

I got early 2013 Macbook Pro. I downloaded Catalina, and now my CPU is behaving like nuts because of the accountsd process. I've done everything I've seen on the internet. I don't have a gmail account, I don't use the mail app and/or calendar on this macbook. I shut down my iCloud account. I've killed the indexing the spotlight. BUT it seems like nothing is working. When I open firefox, it goes wild. I tried to force quit it but it came back again and again. I don't know what to do about it.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 2:13 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Oct 30, 2019 8:37 PM in response to duygu244

I haven't had the out of control CPU usage and I don't use Firefox, but every day or two accountsd grows to more than 2GB which really puts a damper on the performance of everything—even with 16GB of RAM on a brand new 2019 MacBook.

I'd expect closing mail, calendar, and other apps that use internet accounts would allow it to recover on its own, but the only way to recover from the memory leak seems to be rebooting.

☹️

It sounds like you've got something that's using accountsd and triggering it for heavy CPU utilization.

Nov 4, 2019 12:41 PM in response to MNikita

I have the accountsd problem, but it seems to be triggered by Apple Mail being open. BOTH my 2013 iMac and my 2017 MBP have the problem. Like you, I'm hoping a new update comes out to resolve the issue - having to work with mail using my iPhone because both computers are essentially useless with Apple Mail open is getting old.

Nov 10, 2019 6:55 AM in response to DarthReed

Switched back to Outlook all week. No problems from accountsd; it stayed under 300MB for almost a week without a reboot. 😢 I hate having calendar and mail in the same app, so I'm going to see if using Outlook for mail with the Mac calendar open will start leaking resources in accountsd. 🤞🏼 I kinda got used to the Mac mail app, so I do hope Apple fixes it (and announces the fix so I know I can switch back).

Nov 11, 2019 12:58 PM in response to duygu244

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Apple Support on Friday, and wasn't able to resolve the problem. Based on the above helpful feedback, I loaded all my email addresses and calendars to Outlook, and have been using Outlook today with no issues. I guess I'll just use Outlook for now and wait for Apple to come out with a fix before switching back to Apple Mail and Calendar.

Nov 19, 2019 7:49 AM in response to DarthReed

The Apple calendar bloats accountsd more slowly than Mail, but it still does over time. I haven't rebooted in a week, and accountsd has doubled in size to 1GB now while Calendar has been open. It's better than every other day while using Mail, but…

I'm still using Outlook for email, but probably going to have to reboot soon. I miss Mail.

Cataline accountsd problem!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.