Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Walking wheelchair user - can someone with a watch test a question for me please!

Does anyone know how the apple watch will cope with a wheelchair user who also walks?

Will the watch be able to tell the difference between a step and a wheel push if it's in wheelchair mode? Will it still track steps as movement, even if as a push? If not can the wheelchair function be turned on/off depending on the circumstance? e.g when I'm at home I can turn it off to track my steps around the house and when I'm outside I can track my pushes in the chair? 

As I'm not sure there will be many people who can answer this question if anyone (disabled or not) could stick their watch in wheelchair mode and see what happens when they walk around a bit that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 10:38 AM

Engage Apple Watch wheelchair mode

1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Health.
  3. Tap health profile
  4. Tap edit
  5. Tap Wheelchair
  6. Select yes
  7. Tap Done.

When you finish your wheelchair workout go back into your health profile and turn the wheelchair setting to off.

I don't have a wheelchair myself but this seems to the best workaround to your problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 10:38 AM in response to amyoul

Engage Apple Watch wheelchair mode

1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Health.
  3. Tap health profile
  4. Tap edit
  5. Tap Wheelchair
  6. Select yes
  7. Tap Done.

When you finish your wheelchair workout go back into your health profile and turn the wheelchair setting to off.

I don't have a wheelchair myself but this seems to the best workaround to your problem.

Oct 29, 2019 11:13 AM in response to amyoul

The Apple Watch accelerometer tracks acceleration and deceleration of the Apple Watch. If it is on your arm then it is the swinging of your arm, as in the changing of direction from forward arm movement to backwards arm movement, wash rinse, repeat.

Actually any arm movement. I frequently stand up and juggle for about a minute to get my standing credits each hour. It does not care if I'm actually walking. In fact I can lie in bed and wave my arm around and get standing credit. Or do it enough and I get movement credit and if I manage to get my heart rate up, exercise credit.

There was one post recently where the user was not allowed to wear a watch on their arm, so they tried keeping it in their pocket, but it would not track their steps, because when walking the pocket maintains a fairly steady speed and does not stop and start.

So this user moved the Apple Watch to their ankle and started getting walking credit during the day.

Again, it is causing the Apple Watch to accelerate and decelerate is how the Apple Watch measures movement. Heart rate helps with the exercise measurements.

Walking wheelchair user - can someone with a watch test a question for me please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.