Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Look with Catalina

After updating to Catalina I noticed that any files in folders show up in the reverse order when all of them are selected and you are using quick look. I did install Catalina on a separate computer and it is doing the same thing so it is not a bad install. I also did the recent 10.15.1 update as well and no fix. So I am wondering if other people have noticed this too. Personally this is screwing up my projects and I have gone back to Mojave until this is fixed.

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 2:57 PM

21 replies

Jan 29, 2020 1:34 PM in response to masong517

macOS Catalina 10.15.3

The macOS Catalina 10.15.3 update improves the stability, reliability, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users. 

• Optimizes gamma handling of low gray levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS
  • Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC and H.264-encoded 4K video on the MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Have a nice day.

Nov 6, 2019 7:31 AM in response to ThatTechnician

That was my first thought when encountering this issue, but the files are already organized by name within their folder. Quick Look still presents them in reverse order regardless. I attached 2 images to illustrate what I'm talking about. The first is how the files are sorted by name, and the second is how Quick Look displays them. I even made sure to select the files in the order I want them presented, but it doesn't make a difference. This seems to be a Catalina bug, Quick Look used to sort the files in order in Mojave and every previous OS.

Nov 6, 2019 6:56 AM in response to ThatTechnician

What happens if in Finder, within that specific folder, you choose to group the files by name, or an ordering that suits your viewing need. Quick Look is not concerned with sort order, but rather presenting what the Finder has organized. Once you have the organization issues resolved, the right-arrow advance in Quick Look should proceed in the desired order.

Nov 6, 2019 7:08 AM in response to VikingOSX

I already had everything organized when coming from Mojave. I went through everything that could possibly change the order and still everything shows up in reverse. Also like I said before the issue is not just with my personal computer this is a Catalina wide issue as I have checked with three different computers and the outcome is still the same no matter how I have organized the files. I have even simply took screen shots and named the files 1 through 10 and doing like you said above and nothing has changed.

Nov 6, 2019 7:33 AM in response to dialabrain

I understand that if you don't select all the files in the folder with "command A" and just highlight one file and then hit the space bar they will show up in order, but if you have multiple rows of files in said folder personally I don't want to have to close the quick look window and reselect the next row and then rinse and repeat when in every previous OS the issue has never existed until now.

Nov 6, 2019 7:50 AM in response to dialabrain

That works for viewing individual files. Likewise, I can open multiple files, start with the last (actually the first) and scroll backwards. But my issue is that I use Quick Look to view multiple files in order at the same time (like the image) to check that the page layout for the books I work on are working at a glance. It's sort of a constant process for me. Quick Look was a good way to get a thumbnail of all the page files to tell if parts of the book are too busy visually, or whatnot.

It's not a huge issue. I'll live without it, but it was a convenient function that became part of my workflow, and now it doesn't work right anymore. I was hoping there was a new setting in Catalina I wasn't seeing or something.

Quick Look with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.