Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display do not have 60Hz Refresh Rate

Hi everyone, does somebody know how to get 60Hz refresh rate on macOS Catalina. I've connected my monitor via USB-C to DisplayPort cable, and all I'm getting is 30Hz. I've done a lot of research and non of the solutions worked out with macOS Catalina.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 2:54 AM

I have it fixed. I was trying to get this problem solved for weeks from now and I was in regular connection with Apple Support. The solution was in monitor settings not macOS. So in some monitor’s general settings there is an option to switch between 1.1 to 1.2 Display port. Try to find system properties or system configurations(in actual monitors menu, using monitors buttons) and in there you will find a Display Port or input setting where you can switch your Display Port to 1.2. Hope this will solve your problem. I was thinking it’s Catalina bag or something but the solution was easier and straightforward then I could imagine.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 2:54 AM in response to twjackson

I have it fixed. I was trying to get this problem solved for weeks from now and I was in regular connection with Apple Support. The solution was in monitor settings not macOS. So in some monitor’s general settings there is an option to switch between 1.1 to 1.2 Display port. Try to find system properties or system configurations(in actual monitors menu, using monitors buttons) and in there you will find a Display Port or input setting where you can switch your Display Port to 1.2. Hope this will solve your problem. I was thinking it’s Catalina bag or something but the solution was easier and straightforward then I could imagine.

Oct 29, 2019 11:33 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you for reply. Well my display supports 60Hz, and for me and all professionals in Video Editing and Motion Graphics fields the 30Hz refresh rate is not worthy. For example you can work with video materials captured in 60 frame per second and with 30Hz you're losing a default picture smoothness, and this is just one of the reasons. I've checked the specs before even buying the iMac and I was running my display on MacOS High Sierra with 60Hz refresh rate so I believe all the problems because of Catalina.

External display do not have 60Hz Refresh Rate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.