Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 keyboard language switching

Since recently upgrading to iOS/iPad OS 13 on my devices, my keyboard does not automatically switch languages like it used to. I first noticed the problem DuoLingo, a language learning app. Previously, it would automatically switch the keyboard to the language it was requesting I answer in (either Swedish or English - which are similar, but the small differences caused me to get a lot of wrong answers by typing quickly...). Then I noticed it acting up between apps. For example, if I was working on an English document, but texting in French, iOS used to remember what language I was using for what app and adjust accordingly. Now I need to manually switch keyboards back and forth - a small but annoying problem that is a strange development, given that this was automatic and seamless before. Is there a setting I need to adjust? Or will this functionality be brought back?

For reference, the upgrades I made were: iPad 2 Mini from iOS 12.3 to iPadOS 13, now am at 13.2 with no improvement. Also, iPhone 5S with iOS 12.4 upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 13, now I am at 13.2 as well. The functionality was lost when going from iOS 12.X to iOS/iPadOS 13.X

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 8:14 AM

28 replies

Nov 4, 2019 3:56 PM in response to Full_Mountie

Good afternoon Full_Mountie,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you recently updated to iOS 13.2 and noticed that your international keyboards are not automatically switching as they did before. The feature has not changed, but it has always been limited to the two most frequent languages that you use. Other than those two languages, you can manually switch as you type. If you have updated your iOS to the most recent version, check to make sure the language apps that you use have been updated to their most recent version as well.

Take a look at the resource below. I've highlighted some key information here for you. Click the link for complete details.

Use international keyboards on iPhone - iPhone User Guide - iOS 13

"If you’ve added keyboards in other languages, you can type in two languages without having to switch between keyboards. Your keyboard automatically switches between the two languages you type in most often. (Not available for all languages.)

1. Go to Settings  > General > Keyboard.
  2. Tap Keyboards, then do any of the following:
    • Add a keyboard: Tap Add New Keyboard, then choose a keyboard from the list. Repeat to add more keyboards.
    • Remove a keyboard: Tap Edit, tap  next to the keyboard you want to remove, tap Delete, then tap Done.
    • Edit your keyboard list: Tap Edit, drag  next to a keyboard to a new place in the list, then tap Done.

If you add an international keyboard, the corresponding language is automatically added to the Preferred Language Order list. You can view this list and add languages directly to it in Settings > General > Language & Region. You can also reorder the list to change how apps and websites display text."

Take care.

Nov 5, 2019 2:08 PM in response to brenden dv

This does not work. My most frequently used keyboards are of course my native language and emojis. When I'm trying to learn Japanese, Duolingo used to open the appropriate keyboard when it wanted a response in a specific language. Now it opens the last keyboard I used, which is the worst possible option given that it's lessons often alternate between wanting english and japanese answers.

This update has made Duolingo unusable in its current state. I curse the day I updated and will scour the web for a way to roll back. Please report this issue up the ladder.

Nov 23, 2019 4:30 PM in response to alterego49

Okay, so I've done some further investigation.

• Installed iOS 13.2.3. No change.
  • Uninstalled all keyboards *except* English + French + Emoji. Problem solved - switching now automatically occurs between English and French.
  • Reinstalled Spanish keyboard. Problem is reintroduced. It won't auto-detect langue so auto-correct doesn't work.
  • Uninstalled Spanish. Problem solved again.

So it seems like if you have *only* two language keyboards installed (plus Emoji) then it's fixed. But of course, this is a workaround as the behaviour is still diminished from iOS 12. And if you *need* three language keyboards, it's not fixed at all.

Nov 18, 2019 9:58 AM in response to brenden dv

It is even crazier if you have 3 languages installed. Then it not only doesn’t switch but will spell check in languages not selected.

I thought to use Duolingo I’d just erase the one I am not using and that should fix it. Nope. And it does something else ever crazier. I used English and Italian, the latter for Duo. When I was done I deleted Italian and put Spanish back as the second keyboard as I use normally. Now in Duo if I want to “select” or “select all” the selection boxes come up in Italian while writing in Spanish and the Italian keyboard isn’t even installed!

In other apps such as messenger it switches as it sees fit. Mostly right but can go crazy at random.

This is definitely an iOS issue since 13.

Nov 22, 2019 7:29 PM in response to brenden dv

Exactly the same here as others have reported and no fix as far as I can tell. I'm in an international team on SimCity BuildIt, and regularly swap between English and French. The keyboard used to automatically detect which language and (for the French parts) it would apply the appropriate accents as part of the auto-correct function. Used to work a treat. No intervention needed by me. Now I need to manually apply the keyboard each time I swap languages. Really, really, really annoying. Major step backwards and I couldn't care less about the new keyboard features in iOS 13. Wishing it were easy to go back.

Dec 6, 2019 7:43 AM in response to Full_Mountie

I just updated my iPhone to 13.2.3 (from 12.something) and then noticed this problem. I wish I could undo the update. It's really annoying having to manually switch languages several times during a lesson - and if I forget to do it, I end up accidentally teaching (for example) Spanish words to the English keybord or vice versa. Please fix this.

I have 11 different keyboards, and Duolingo always switched to the correct one before this update.

Dec 7, 2019 12:24 AM in response to Full_Mountie

I have the exact same problem. I updated from iOS 12 to iOS 13 on my iPhone. Previously on iOS 12 the language keyboard would automatically switch. I have four keyboards and it used to switch seamlessly between each especially when I used DuoLingo.

Now with iOS 13 the keyboard just stays stuck on whatever keyboard was last used. iOS 13 stinks. If anyone is still on iOS 12 and reads this, don’t update to 13.

Dec 7, 2019 3:51 PM in response to Teendoc

Totally. Anyone notice how the support response went very quiet since so many others are experiencing identical behaviour in iOS13? As I said earlier, it's fixed if you ONLY have two language keyboards installed.

Major step back. Have sat through three or four iOS upgrades waiting for this to be fixed and it's still not.

Not good enough.

Dec 7, 2019 4:05 PM in response to alterego49

The denial is ridiculous and completely unhelpful. The behaviour has definitely changed.

I use Duolingo daily. Prior to upgrading to iOS 13, the keyboard would automatically switch language to the whatever made sense for the exercise in question. I assume this was driven by hints from Duolingo

Since the upgrade the language (and the keyboard) never auto switches, and the spell check is all over the place.

This 100% changed in iOS 13. Please fix the hinting system so that apps can automatically suggest a better keyboard / language as appropriate. As they could, one way or the other, in iOS 12.

Dec 8, 2019 6:39 AM in response to alterego49

It seems like support doesn’t have an answer. The explanation given was not correct. The previous version of iOS had language switching capabilities which have been lost in the new version.

It’s down to their developers. I hope that support can look at this thread and raise the issue with their developers to correct the problems.

It’s not just on Duolingo that the auto keyboard switching has been lost. It also happens on across all apps and web browsers.

Perhaps those on Duolingo noticed it early because they use multiple keyboards.

Support, please take note and raise this issue!

Jan 4, 2020 10:40 PM in response to Cheekytita

I have been having the same issue!!

I use dictation in Japanese to get better at speaking the language I'm learning. Initially it will take it in Japanese but when I get to the end of the sentence, it will convert it to what it heard in English!

This is incredibly frustrating. Apple, I appreciate trying to make switching between languages easy, but I have had to remove my French keyboard because auto-correct would correct my English spelling mistakes to French as well. Please, give us the option to turn off this feature, as now it is harder than ever to stick to one language at a time!

iOS 13 keyboard language switching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.